Performance when posting in 3.0.x very SLOW

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Daryle

Performance when posting in 3.0.x very SLOW

Post by Daryle » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:54 am

I've since upgraded from 2.0.22 to 3.0.x. I had to do an offline conversion since my hosting provider wouldn't provide me with the CPU clocks required.

But now when you post (or preview) in the 3.0.x version, after clicking "preview" or "submit", it takes 45 seconds to process. Any idea why this may be or if there is a file that needs to be modified?

I did check the administration panel for settings that may prolong posting but didn't notice anything. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Btw, the site in question can be found here: http://www.hddvdsupporters.com/discussion/index.php
And after seeing how fast preview and submit work on this site, I KNOW there is an issue somewheres on mine.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Performance when posting in 3.0.x very SLOW

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:56 am

You could try playing with settings under "Load Settings" to see if that makes much of a difference, although it sounds to me like you may just be suffering from an overloaded shared server.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

allanhardy

Post by allanhardy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:04 am

Wonder about having the RBL checking turned on in ACM security settings, look up like that could cause problems - though I dont know if its used on preview

Daryle

Post by Daryle » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:29 am

allanhardy wrote:Wonder about having the RBL checking turned on in ACM security settings, look up like that could cause problems - though I dont know if its used on preview
Sorry, but I dont know the acronyms RBL and ACM... could you please elaborate?

Also, I'm really scratching my head because I don't *think* it has anything to do with my shared server. PHPBB 2.0.x is still blazing fast as is all of my other websites. Is it possible that during the conversion a setting was introduced into PHPBB 3.0.x? I have a test PHPBB 3.0.x site running on the same server and it's really fast: http://www.darylehamel.com/phpbb3/

It's definitely specific to this installation and the only major difference is the new installation involved conversion.

allanhardy

Post by allanhardy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:58 am

Check the Admin Control Panel (ACM) Security settinsg and look for something abou checking against RBLs, turn it off if its on

Daryle

Post by Daryle » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:23 am

Here was the offender! It was a setting in the Security module:

Check IP against DNS Blackhole List:
If enabled the user’s IP address is checked against the following DNSBL services on registration and posting: spamcop.net, dsbl.org and http://www.spamhaus.org. This lookup may take a while, depending on the server’s configuration. If slowdowns are experienced or too many false positives reported it is recommended to disable this check.

This was ENABLED and took about 45 seconds to post of preview! PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! It is NOT enabled by default.

allanhardy

Post by allanhardy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:07 am

Thats the setting I meant
Though enbale don my system and not had any downside
wonder what the variable is? Host/ISP I guess

Castaa

Post by Castaa » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Daryle wrote:Here was the offender! It was a setting in the Security module:

Check IP against DNS Blackhole List:
If enabled the user’s IP address is checked against the following DNSBL services on registration and posting: spamcop.net, dsbl.org and http://www.spamhaus.org. This lookup may take a while, depending on the server’s configuration. If slowdowns are experienced or too many false positives reported it is recommended to disable this check.

This was ENABLED and took about 45 seconds to post of preview! PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! It is NOT enabled by default.
Thank you for posting this. This was our problem as well! :D

gideonsaul

Post by gideonsaul » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:00 pm

It would appear that rurning off this DNS Black Hole Security setting fixed my slow/freeze message posting issue as well. Thank you! :D
I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes. - Romans 1:16

Tony1865

Post by Tony1865 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

OUTSTANDING information, just what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Tony...

O4Steve

Post by O4Steve » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:14 am

Fixed my problem too.

madmartyau
Name: Marty

Post by madmartyau » Sun May 03, 2009 9:02 am

I know this is an old topic but it just solved my problem too. I enabled it the other night and ever since I did it would take ages to submit posts. I won't be enabling it again.
Call me Grumpy.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 am

The feature will not be enabled in the next version, it's caused by a malfunctional server to which phpBB is trying to connect.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”