Login problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
G5Club.net

Re: Login problem

Post by G5Club.net » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I have similar problems as well.
Most 95% of my users... No issues logging in/out and remembering log-in.

However, I have had about 10 active posters complain that they log in, they go to post and get logged right back out. Has happened on multiple computers with one users. Is this probably a conversion issue with that users account?

But you can definitely add me to that list of log-in issues... anyone know if a fix is in the works?

Thanks!
-Rob

jim123

Post by jim123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Why no official reply on this from staff members. It's something that must be fixed. I mean this thread is 5 pages long and allot of people are experiencing this problem. Please provide a fix soon.

splashy11

Post by splashy11 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:42 pm

G5Club.net wrote:I have similar problems as well.
Most 95% of my users... No issues logging in/out and remembering log-in.

However, I have had about 10 active posters complain that they log in, they go to post and get logged right back out. Has happened on multiple computers with one users. Is this probably a conversion issue with that users account?

But you can definitely add me to that list of log-in issues... anyone know if a fix is in the works?

Thanks!
-Rob
Don't think it is a conversion issue because we didn't convert our board.
We just started from scratch.
(now have 10,000 posts since july though :D )

Anyway..
I think it must me something to do with the system... not getting on well with certain ISPs or something..
Otherwise why would only these few members be affected? I have checked out the accounts from the users with issues myself... and it works fine for me!

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:08 pm

It has nothing to do with ISPs. If user experiences this bug, I can't login as him (knowing his password) from my PC. But I _can_ login as myself or as few other users who doesn't experience this bug. So at least some part of it has nothing to do with ISP or cookies or browser or anything related to end-user.
==
P.S. dared to PM Marshalrusty about this thread...

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:39 pm

BioLogIn wrote:P.S. dared to PM Marshalrusty about this thread...
Thanks.

This often happens when the cookie domain is set incorrectly. Cookie settings are tricky, so the default ones may work or they may not. Many of you have mentioned that this only occurs on IE, which means that it is not handling things properly. If you are having this problem, then try changing the cookie domain so that it has 2 dots ('.example.com' but 'phpbb.co.uk'). After you have made this change, you will need to clear your browser's cookies (at least the ones that have to do with your site) and if you're using IE, close it and open it again.

If you have access to phpMyAdmin, you may wish to TRUNCATE the sessions table.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

jim123

Post by jim123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:49 pm

I truncated session, session_keys in the database, renamed domain cookies to .domain.com with 2 dots, cleared browser cookies but i still the same problem in ie7. In firefox it works fine.

In IE i see myself as logged in the footer stats of the forum but i'm not logged in. The link in the header still shows as login. When i try to make a new post, i'm taken to the login page again.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:52 pm

Okay, this doesn't happen to everyone, so something must be interfering. Are you by any chance using Google web accelerator? Any other software that might be changing the way IE7 behaves?

jim123

Post by jim123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:53 pm

No at all. I also tried it from another computer in another location. Seems to have the same problem with IE.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Marshalrusty
Thanks for finding time to look at the trouble.

As for our case, we double-checked our cookies settings with your KB article at hand. We emptied our session and sessionkeys tables. We erased cookies several times and tried from different browsers. We checked and disables all security checks like IP check. We doublechecked ban-lists.

Some of these actions (cookie deletion, actually) did helped to some of users. But for others (again, at very least 10 of ~1000 currently active) the problem remains. I'll emphasis it again: there are accounts in my forum even I can't login to. Using my PC and my browsers (Firefox 2.0.11 and Opera 9.21) which I use to successfully login as myself - and I have 1 admin and 1 usual account in hand and both work for me. That's being administrator, having changed his password and e-mail, having re-activated his account, having banned\unbanned him just in case, etc. etc.

More details in my post on the 3rd page of this thread:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0#p3830365

I'm sorry for a hype, but I'm quite nervous about this. If you need any additional information and\or rights to test my board, you are welcome - but please, examine this nasty situation.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:53 pm

If you can login with some accounts but not with others, then there must be a difference between the users somewhere in the database. How large is your database and would you be willing to provide me with a copy or access to the existing one?

jim123

Post by jim123 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:59 pm

I just tried it from another computer which i never used before and everything seems to work great in both IE and Firefox.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:If you can login with some accounts but not with others, then there must be a difference between the users somewhere in the database
I just hope you're right and it is not some malicious bug in code. Or, rather, I hope that everything is ok with both code and DB and the reason is that we missed something obvious (((

Anyway, I'm dumping and archiving user database now, expect PM in a hour. There will be a link to approx. 20Mb in 7z. I'll make a list or 'problem' users as well.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:11 pm

BioLogIn wrote:
Marshalrusty wrote:If you can login with some accounts but not with others, then there must be a difference between the users somewhere in the database
I just hope you're right and it is not some malicious bug in code. Or, rather, I hope that everything is ok with both code and DB and the reason is that we missed something obvious (((

Anyway, I'm dumping and archiving user database now, expect PM in a hour. There will be a link to approx. 20Mb in 7z. I'll make a list or 'problem' users as well.
Note that a dump of just the users table won't help as I won't be able to restore it and play around. That is, unless the problem is obvious, in which case I assume you would be able to find it yourself.

BioLogIn

Post by BioLogIn » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:24 pm

I'm dumping all phpbb sql tables (except stuff like search index) then.

G5Club.net

Post by G5Club.net » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Here is what I've been telling people to do, and it appears to work. We have issues like this with a telecommunications company site I work with and this usually works:
------BEGIN TEMPLATE FIX COOKIES-----
Temporary solutions/work around :
Download/use FireFox.

If you still want to use Internet Explorer, try this:

With the browser open:
- Up at the top, choose Tools
- Click "Internet Options"
- Click on "Privacy"
- Lower the "Internet Setting Zone" tab to Lowest option (accept all cookies)
- Press Apply then OK
- Close/Reopen browser, log in and choose stay logged in as the option.

Also, you may want to set "www.YOURWEBSITEHERE.net" and "YOURDOMAINNAME.net" as a trusted zone in your I.E. settings.
------END TEMPLATE FIX COOKIES-----
Of course, replace YOURWEBSITEHERE/YOURDOMAINNAME with your actual website.

Try sending that as PM to users experiencing issues or setting it as an announcement and post back to let us know... I tried telling that to users and they no longer seem to experience issues.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”