SQL Error - Could not get style data - 3.0.0 Fresh Install

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Designer Web

SQL Error - Could not get style data - 3.0.0 Fresh Install

Post by Designer Web »

Your board's URL: http://cancergrace.designer-web.com/forums/
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.0
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Fresh Install
Was this an install through your host? Manual Install
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: Right after finishing the installation process.

Right after I finished up installing phpBB3, when I try to go to the page that is linked to me at the end of the installer (or any phpBB page besides the installer) I get the error:

Code: Select all

General Error

Could not get style data

Done nothing to the to the install at all. Just fresh from phpBB.com using a wget to the server. This happens whether I'm using mysql or mysqli. I'm pretty stumped, anyone else have some ideas?
Last edited by Designer Web on Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gowmars

Re: SQL Error - Could not get style data - 3.0.0 Fresh Install

Post by Gowmars »

are you using a style other than prosilver or subsilver2? if so then i would say try adding the files for the style you were using and see if it will detect it then.

edit: sorry I guess I misread your post, didn't realize this was for a fresh install and not an upgrade.
Designer Web

Post by Designer Web »

Yeah... unfortunately thats the problem. When I did a search for this problem, people seemed to be running into this problem with upgrades and not using pro/subsilver... but nothing useful for anyone running into this on a fresh install.

Edit:
After a bit (in this case, roughly one hour), I get a slightly different error. This is without having touched or modified the install any bit since the error above. I guess getting two errors is the result of the caching or something.

Code: Select all

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND t.template_id = s.template_id AND c.theme_id = s.theme_id AND i.imag' at line 4 [1064]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

So, anyone else have any ideas possibly?
Designer Web

Post by Designer Web »

Moved the site to outside the VPN, it can be viewed here.

Since my guess is that it might potentially be something related to my server setup, info is below:
PHP: 5.2.0-8etch
MySQL: 5.0.32-Debian-7etch
crayadder

Post by crayadder »

I get the same error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AND t.template_id = s.template_id AND c.theme_id = s.theme_id AND i.imag' at line 4 [1064]

What I did immediately prior to getting it was to delete a whackload of users that were in my database, which seemed to have been added through bots. My guess is that one of the users I deleted was necessary to the running of the site, but I wouldn't think that that should be necessary.
Cray Adder

-"The Galaxy is my home; the Universe, my backyard."
casskhav

Post by casskhav »

I have had the same thing happen as you crayadder! I tried cleaning out some users and the next thing I know I was getting the General Error as described.

Have you found the fix? I am panicking - re-install gives me yet the same error.

Help, please.
Designer Web

Post by Designer Web »

Well, I guess I'm not the only one who runs into this problem o.O...

Anyone else have any ideas? Could it have to do with the permission levels of the user you choose to run MySQL through? Permissions wise, what exactly does phpBB3 database user need?
casskhav

Post by casskhav »

My problem started when I cleaned out my user table. I took out anything that was not a known member (we are a very small group). That's when my trouble started.

I contacted my ISP tech and had him reload the user table to where it was before I cleaned house, and all was right with the world again. I think that the Anonymous user the Admin user need to be present, and I had not even noticed them as I was going crazy hitting the delete button!

Good luck to you - hope this helps someone!
tomigun

Post by tomigun »

i have 3.0.2 fresh install....my site worked great untill i deactivated my styles that cam w/ the board. (im using another style instead)

look at bbcode area then from that point i get the error.

we have chatted long and hard on this but where is the support telling us how to fix it.

9 i went in to my sql and changed the "0" to a "1" to activate the other styles but still nothing.
maffo

Post by maffo »

Please please can somebody help with this.

My forum is viewable but my forum is not being spidered.

The google cached page is displaying the error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

I can view my forum as can my members but I need the forum spidered for thousands of reasons.

HELP!!!
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Are the bot users set to display the same style as everyone else?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Cornwell

Re: SQL Error - I fixed it

Post by Cornwell »

I had this problem after upgrading from 2.0.22 to 3.0.2 and thanks to the earlier contributors for putting me on the right track.

On logging into my upgraded system first time it all worked fine. However, I noticed that there were a lot of spam users, so I deleted them and in order to do this quickly I used phpMyAdmin rather than go through the users individually. This resulted in me deleting the anonymous user, and the error appeared.

I therefore used phpMyAdmin to insert an anonymous user and the problem was fixed. I think the important values I used in creating this record were:
user_id = 1
user_type = 2
group_id = 1
user_permissions = 00000000004pc5m1kw
i1cjyo000000
i1cjyo000000
owqor8000000
owqor8000000
username = Anonymous
username_clean = anonymous

I took the defaults for all the other values. Of course your mileage may vary.

I think the reason things went wrong is that the anonymous user is the one that is there by default before a visitor has logged on. If that user isn't defined then the database query fails.

Roger
kamundse

Post by kamundse »

Yay, that worked. How annoying.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

VERY bad idea to delete users directly from the database.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”