Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
MidnightLich

Post by MidnightLich » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello,

I've spent quite a while searching this forum for an answer, and I've tried a few things, but I just can't get this to work; hence, this post. I have had a phpbb3 gold installation (no mods) running on my site since it's release, and have had no problems. But I recently reorganized the site, and moved the installation from the root (/) directory to a subdirectory called /forum.

I changed the server settings and everything works perfectly - except none of the user uploaded avatars will display. All I get is a line of text that says "User Avatar" - no broken image link or anything. I've tried altering the server and avatar settings to get it to work, but either nothing happens or I get a message saying the avatar directory can't be found.

Any ideas?

-crp

Gregkael

Re: Avatar Issue

Post by Gregkael » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:10 am

I have the same problem except it was with a fresh installation. I've tried every combination of permissions on the user avatar folder I can think of and always get the "User Avatar" text being displayed instead of the correct image.
The odd thing is that the avatar is being uploaded to the server as I can see the file in the directory with an ftp client. It's just not displaying correctly.

Gallery and off-site avatars work fine.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:12 am

MidnightLich wrote:Hello,

I've spent quite a while searching this forum for an answer, and I've tried a few things, but I just can't get this to work; hence, this post. I have had a phpbb3 gold installation (no mods) running on my site since it's release, and have had no problems. But I recently reorganized the site, and moved the installation from the root (/) directory to a subdirectory called /forum.

I changed the server settings and everything works perfectly - except none of the user uploaded avatars will display. All I get is a line of text that says "User Avatar" - no broken image link or anything. I've tried altering the server and avatar settings to get it to work, but either nothing happens or I get a message saying the avatar directory can't be found.

Any ideas?

-crp
Have you checked the permissions on the avatar/upload/ folder to be sure that it is still chmod to 777 after the move?

Are the avatar images actually present inside the folder?

andyJH

Post by andyJH » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:54 pm

Have you checked the permissions on the avatar/upload/ folder to be sure that it is still chmod to 777 after the move?

Are the avatar images actually present inside the folder?
I am having the same problems. It happened overnight. I wonder if it was caused by php upgrades done by my webhost. Any way, the avatar/upload folder was not 777, but is now. The avatars are there in the folder.

Still "User avatar" instead of the actual image.

Also, in the upload folder, the images have different chmod numbers from 777 to 644, although most are 666.

Grooveman

Post by Grooveman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:40 pm

Same problem here.

I've been doing a change of webhost and an update from phpBB2 to phpBB3. For the avatars of our members this meant that I transferred them to a new directory where the present test set-up is installed (with a different URL path than the previous installation, which will prove to be important in a moment). While everything else works perfectly, I can't get the transferred avatars to show up.

On the other hand, when I upload a fresh avatar for such a case, there's no problem at all. So I know for a fact that it's not a CHMOD 777 issue (since the new avatar can be uploaded AND viewed), nor is there a problem with the folder path settings as set in the ACP.

Also, I've transferred a couple of avatars that were in an extra directory called "gallery personal". These also show up fine. The difference with the other avatars is that these were pre-installed on the previous board installation.

I believe the problem of transferred avatars not showing up, has something to do with the fact that the not-working avatars were originally uploaded by individual members, where each avatar gets an ID number. It looks to me that somehow the script is unable to handle those files having been moved to a directory with a different URL path (even if it's the same relative to the top directory of the forum installation itself). That's why when MidnightLich moved his entire board to a (new) subdirectory, things stopped working.

Somehow the avatars have to be "re-synced". Who knows how to do this?? :geek:

Take care...

life as a coder

Post by life as a coder » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:33 am

I have this problem too. Have change the permission to 777(./images/avatars/upload/) but still "USER AVATAR" show instead the pic.
I tried on my localhost(apache server), It's working fine. Don't know why not working on internet server.

Any body can help?

andyJH

Post by andyJH » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 am

Just in case this issue is host specific, my forum is hosted by Bluehost.

marksalehouse

Post by marksalehouse » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:25 am

I deleted the image in the folder but forgot the profile :roll: . Just go to the user profile - avatar, click to delete image and the problem goes. Looks like a safety feature for missing/bad upload file.

M

andyJH

Post by andyJH » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:10 pm

Is this the proper htaccess for the images/avatars/upload folder?

<Files *>
Order Allow,Deny
Deny from All
</Files>

visionquest99

Post by visionquest99 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:37 am

Having a similar problem. (btw, on bluehost). The avatar shows, but if you refresh the page, the image is replaced by a "User Avatar" link. So it's there, hit refresh its gone, then refresh again its there!

Wuddup wid dat?

ps is chmod for /images/avatars/upload/ supposed to be 755?

odisn

Post by odisn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I've had this same issue since I converted my board. I was able to throw them all in galleries for the users to go in and grab their own, but they cannot upload new ones. I've seen multiple posts asking this question, but not many answers from anyone on the phpBB development team.

Is anyone looking into this? Does anyone have any additional suggestions on things we can try to correct the issue?

visionquest99

Post by visionquest99 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:15 am

My issue was solved by doing THIS.

christina_zh

Post by christina_zh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:18 am

Hi all

I have the same Avatar Issue after Uploading (from a URL and from my Computer).

I checked file permission for /images/avatars/upload/ (777)

After Upload the file exist in upload folder how ever it is not showing

I have no problem with Avatars not refreshing on refresh

On may XAMPP Test Server but works all fine

Any Ideas how to fix this problem?

christina_zh

PHP setting allow_url_fopen is enabled

Post by christina_zh » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:12 pm

PHP setting allow_url_fopen is enabled:
Optional - This setting is optional, however certain phpBB functions like off-site avatars will not work properly without it.
How ever my Host (server) has this function disabled for higher securely.
Is there any work around for this problem?
Allow_url_fopen = off, (default: on)

Default allows PHP, in all commands, files, instead of a local file name and a URL. For example, the commands require, or include fopen. Set this value to on only when you absolutely need this functionality. Even an include ($ _GET [ "filename"]) is a first-class security risk here, however, are also the PHP programmer asked. Because such constructions are frivolous.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”