When does 'bump topic' appear?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wombat42

When does 'bump topic' appear?

Post by wombat42 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:08 am

I'm a little confused as to how it operates. I have (I believe) set up the ability for topics to be bumped and by all classes of registered users. i.e.

Admin->Board Configuration->Post Settings->Bump Interval

and the Permissions-type links (Actions->Can bump topics = Yes)

However I am finding some "inconsistencies" into when the 'bump topic' link appears on the page (untouched prosilver). Are the following true?
  1. You can only bump a topic after a pre-defined number of days have elapsed and you can only bump a topic once (I believe these to be true)
  2. Can you bump a topic where the only post is the topic starter itself (most of the ones I look at that are single post don't have the "Bump Topic" link but every now and then I find one that does)
  3. Are you only allowed to bump a topic when you are the last person to have posted to the topic (whether it's first post or not)?
  4. If the above is true, can an Administrator (or Moderator) bump, for whatever reason, any topic?
  5. Although you may find the situation strange, can a "Sticky" topic be bumped? (maybe you have multiple stickies and you want one particular one to be bumped to the top)
I have reasonably recently converted from phpbb 2.0.22 to the latest 3.0 version so a lot of the posts I am looking at are old so maybe some other flag is coming into play here that doesn't allow converted posts to be eligible for "bumping"? (although that doesn't appear to be true either)

What I will say is that most of the appearance/non-appearance of the "bump topic" link appear to be in particular forums even though the same user should have the same levels of access (and, yes "bump topic" is permissible for this user/group in both). I certainly know that I as an Administrator have access to bump topics but it seems random in some forums as to when the link actually appears (i.e. appears on every topic in one forum whether that topic consists of only one or many posts, wasn't or wasn't initially, lastly or by me at all in any post of the topic, and all bump intervals have been reached, whereas in another forum it sometimes appears and sometimes not with no discernible pattern I can see.).

Someone please enlighten me? I'm thinking from what I see so far that the following sentence may be true...

"You can only bump a topic where you are the last person to have posted to the topic, the bump interval has been reached, it hasn't been bumped before, and you have permission to do so"

If that's true then I would've thought that an Administrator/Moderator should have had this ability irrespective of last post author and it may not be a bad idea to allow any one with the appropriate authority to bump a topic to avoid an extra post for the sake of bringing it to the fore.

Additionally, as an Administrator, you have the ability to test out a user's permissions. Under the assumption you can only bump a topic to which you were the last poster, it does not appear that this "takeover" of a user's profile still does not permit you to bump the topic. Design or bug?

Dr Hook

Re: When does 'bump topic' appear?

Post by Dr Hook » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm very curious about how the bump topic works also.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:04 pm

In general, the topic starter and last poster can bump a topic, after the bump interval has passed.

Dr Hook

Post by Dr Hook » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:15 pm

What is stopping the last poster to bump simply by making a new post?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:16 pm

Because they may have no more to say...
Putting in a post that says "bump" is pretty obnoxious IMHO.

Dr Hook

Post by Dr Hook » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:26 pm

Brf wrote:Because they may have no more to say...
Putting in a post that says "bump" is pretty obnoxious IMHO.
Agreed! I'd like to have a way of stopping them from doing it. Like not allowing a reply to your own post.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:53 pm

Brf wrote:In general, the topic starter and last poster can bump a topic, after the bump interval has passed.
Only the topic starter and last poster? Is it possible to change it so that any member is able to bump a topic as long as the bump interval set in ACP is respected?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:39 pm

spacefish wrote:
Brf wrote:In general, the topic starter and last poster can bump a topic, after the bump interval has passed.
Only the topic starter and last poster? Is it possible to change it so that any member is able to bump a topic as long as the bump interval set in ACP is respected?
The theory behind that is that another user, besides the very last poster, should make their own post if they have more to say on the subject.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”