Enable GZip compression on phpBB3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
iftitaj

Re: Enable GZip compression on phpBB3

Post by iftitaj »

When I ran that tool on my forum, it shows correctly that GZip is enable. See result below:
Results for: http://www.salmankhan-fanclub.com
Web page compressed? Yes
Compression type? gzip
Size, Markup (bytes) 22,448
Size, Compressed (bytes) 4,631
Compression % 79.4
Try to run the same tool on my forum to see what it shows to you. Maybe your webhost is not supporting it.
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

soumik wrote:I've enabled gzip compression in my forum (link is in my signature). But when I do a gzip compression test at http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php , it says it is not gzip compressed. What can be the reason behind this?

This site is not trust worthy as it says my site is using gzip when it is not :)
soumik

Post by soumik »

karlsemple wrote:This site is not trust worthy as it says my site is using gzip when it is not :)
Yes. That might me it. :)
Powered by chocolate
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

soumik wrote:
karlsemple wrote:This site is not trust worthy as it says my site is using gzip when it is not :)
Yes. That might me it. :)

It may also be a case of your host forcing your content not to be gzip compressed thus overriding your own setting in phpBB :)
soumik

Post by soumik »

karlsemple wrote:It may also be a case of your host forcing your content not to be gzip compressed thus overriding your own setting in phpBB :)
Yes, you are right. I contacted my host and they told that GZIP compression is disabled for my account. :(
Powered by chocolate
iftitaj

Post by iftitaj »

With my statistics from the above link, I can say GZip is very handy thing. My 22KB page was compressed to only 4.5KB - see the comparison & think about how fast page loads with GZip. :D
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

iftitaj wrote:With my statistics from the above link, I can say GZip is very handy thing. My 22KB page was compressed to only 4.5KB - see the comparison & think about how fast page loads with GZip. :D

do not confuse the smaller size with faster page loading...it has to be decompressed by the client first :) It is to save bandwidth more than anything else, but the offset is that it uses higher cpu load both server and client side :)
iftitaj

Post by iftitaj »

karlsemple wrote:
iftitaj wrote:With my statistics from the above link, I can say GZip is very handy thing. My 22KB page was compressed to only 4.5KB - see the comparison & think about how fast page loads with GZip. :D
do not confuse the smaller size with faster page loading...it has to be decompressed by the client first :) It is to save bandwidth more than anything else, but the offset is that it uses higher cpu load both server and client side :)
Oh thats what I meant to say. But overall page will load faster when the data is more than 5 times compressed. If you go through processing data (compressing/decompressing) it will be much faster than saving 5 times bandwidth. In comparison, bandwidth is most often the bottleneck not processing power. So overall, I guess, page will LOAD faster - specially for dialup users. :)
soumik

Post by soumik »

iftitaj wrote: In comparison, bandwidth is most often the bottleneck not processing power. So overall, I guess, page will LOAD faster - specially for dialup users. :)
If you are on shared hosting, CPU usage plays a very important role. Most hosts will give you a warning that your account is using too much CPU, and tell you to curb CPU usage.