Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Lillie

Re: Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as

Post by Lillie »

I'm getting this error too but my site never really worked right. Brand new clean install, no mods, 1 style not currently active.

Order of Events:
1. Installed directly on the server. Windows 2000, Internal address 192.168.2.55.
2. Everything seemed to be working but I was browsing http://192/168.2.55/...
3. Installed the AutumsColor style.
4. Next day accessed the site from home using the public address http://www dot thegalleryisle dot com.
5. Seemed to be working until I tried to access the ACP and it kept trying to redirect me to 192.168.2.55.
6. Logged into the server remotely and got right in using the internal address.
7. Changed the Server settings to force server url to http://, www dot thegalleryisle dot com, 80, /forum
8. Tried again from my home browser (Win7RC, IE8). Redirection was correct but started getting the not allowed message. Clicking on the index page after the failed attempt showed I was no longer logged in.
9. Tried again from the server and found I get the error using the url but still get in using the internal IP.
10. Backed up and purged my database and restored the install directory.
11. Installed from my home pc using the url instead of from the server using the IP.
12. Could not get into ACP from home or from the server even when trying the IP.
13. Purged database and restored from backup.

I used phpBB 2 a long time ago without any problems. I would be a real shame if they broke a good product. It is totally unusable for me as it is now. I can't always remote into the server and use the IP address when I need to administer.

--- Edit ---
Updated results... I managed to fix my own problem. It seems that the firewall (ISA Server) needed to have the web publishing rule set to forward the host header on to the web server.
tameboy

Post by tameboy »

Having been away from phpBB for a few years (used myBB for a while) I came back yesterday because I couldn't get myBB to work on my recent server upgrade.

With my shiny new phpBB 3.0 install I found that I could log in successfully and even access the ACP briefly but I kept getting logged out within 30 secs or so. I've spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to resolve this problem - I tried clearing caches, clearing phpbb_sessions table, changing browsers, clearing forum/cache directly all to no avail.

What worked for me:
Changing security settings (very quickly before I got logged out):
  • Session IP validation: set to none
  • Validate browser: no
I don't know which was causing the problem but since I have now been successfully logged in for 30mins I am assuming the problem has resolved. It is very strange that so many people in this thread had similar problems which have been solved by different methods.

I hope you find one that works for you.
    tameboy

tamed by wife life and child
    sn3t

Post by sn3t »

Yep, I'm pretty sure IE7 from what I read on the first page is a common problem. Here at my university I can't login to the ACP and every computer on campus still runs IE7. However at home I can login to my ACP with firefox, chrome, and IE8 no problems.
    Pegsat

Re: Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowe

Post by Pegsat »

I'm totally a newbie with any BBS, but heard PHPBB was the best out there. Looking at all these posts for the same issue (starting over a year ago) and the various fixes here, makes me wonder why does it seem to be problematic. And I do have to admit, some of the fixes listed here are beyond me... at this time.

My Host had to install phpbb (3.2.4) because Fanatico didn't do it. (And they don't offer support on PHPBB.) However, I logged into admin the first time and right off the bat, I created a new "member"(?) and gave him/me full admin permissions. I logged out and when I came back to log in, I got the "Not allowed" problem as everyone here. I can log into the BBS under the new member name, but not my actual Admin name, and once inside, I can "re-log-into" admin panel from there using only this new user.

Looking at one of the previous posts, it appeared that one person got in this round about way (not specifically because I automatically did make a new user with admin priviledges first). But it seems this is not preferred. Does this new user have all the same abilities as my actual original user?

(I want to ask a whole slew of questions, but I know, I need to hit the books and earn it.)
    ric323
    Former Team Member
    Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Pegsat wrote:I'm totally a newbie with any BBS, but heard PHPBB was the best out there. Looking at all these posts for the same issue (starting over a year ago) and the various fixes here, makes me wonder why does it seem to be problematic. And I do have to admit, some of the fixes listed here are beyond me... at this time.

My Host had to install phpbb (3.2.4) because Fanatico didn't do it. (And they don't offer support on PHPBB.) However, I logged into admin the first time and right off the bat, I created a new "member"(?) and gave him/me full admin permissions. I logged out and when I came back to log in, I got the "Not allowed" problem as everyone here. I can log into the BBS under the new member name, but not my actual Admin name, and once inside, I can "re-log-into" admin panel from there using only this new user.

Looking at one of the previous posts, it appeared that one person got in this round about way (not specifically because I automatically did make a new user with admin priviledges first). But it seems this is not preferred. Does this new user have all the same abilities as my actual original user?

(I want to ask a whole slew of questions, but I know, I need to hit the books and earn it.)
    Start off by starting your own topic, and filling in the Support Request Template to tell us about your board.
    You are really better off installing phpBB yourself. Fantastico is NOT a good option, and it sounds like your host has instralled an old version of phpBB. 3.0.7-pl1 is the current version.
    The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
    How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
    How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
    Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
    BeyondIT

Post by BeyondIT »

I had this problem this morning on PHPBB3 3.0.7-PL1

Previously I have had no problems, the forum has been up for a couple of weeks with no issues. I go to login to the adm panel and I got this error.

Searching around I tried about everything I could find to access adm panel, including clearing cookies, cache, session tables, etc.

My forum is rather bare since it's intended only for people in my area, so i don't get much traffic yet, but that helped me to discover the cause of my problem. I noticed another IP attempting access to the adm panel in the sessions table. I know what my IP is, so I whois the IP and saw that it originated from Amsterdam.

I blocked his IP in htaccess, flushed cache & session tables and Presto... I had access to the adm panel again. Logged out and tried to log back in... same error as above. I go back and check out the session tables and discover a session from someone in the same IPblock as the one I just blocked. Added the IP to my htaccess, flushed session/cache and again, I had access!

This has got to be some nature of bug that is being exploited.

I went to www.blockacountry.com and added (lol) every country except the USA. Uploaded the htaccess to my server and haven't had an issue since. I have been going back and checking the sessions table, but nothing suspicious.

Obviously this isn't a solution for everyone, and it's largely overkill, but my point is that it seems possible for someone, NOT logged in, to somehow interfere with the administrators access to the ACP. No one was logged, I checked, but yet a "visitor" was able to cause my admin account to receive this error when attempting to log into the ACP.

I could be wrong, but I'm not "wet behind the ears", and the evidence (to me) seems to point to this.
    Yoink666

Post by Yoink666 »

Now i've just had this problem, I can't access my forums it just keeps telling me to login, what's going on? It was fine yesterday and has been running fine for almost 7 years.

Yes i've cleared all the caches etc
    annebqui

Post by annebqui »

I'm having the problem too. Everything was working fine yesterday. I've made no changes at all. Today I can't get into ACP with Firefox, but I can with IE. There needs to be a fix on this!
    Mick
    Support Team Member
    Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

ric323 wrote:Start off by starting your own topic, and filling in the Support Request Template to tell us about your board.
    Guys guys guys, please read the above. It's doubtful that everybody's problems are the same, you are more than likely all with different hosts for a start. As Ric requested, start your own topic by filling out the SRT.
    "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
    coolracing

Post by coolracing »

Possible problem solution
    it applied to me

i used phpbb 3.0.7 version
    solution worked for both mozilla (3.6.3) and IE (6...)

so
    previously you'll do a cache clear (but i'm not sure if it will changed something)
    then u log in as admin in the index of your forum and bellow Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group clik on Administration Control Panel
    now you ll have to log in again as admin and wait for some moments to be redirected to your admin panel ...

i hope will work for you
    notice that i've installed a fres new copy of phpbb 3.0.7 version

good luck
    louvalie

Post by louvalie »

I wonder why is it possible that such a huge problem was never addressed by phpBB. I'm having the same problem. When I go to /adm I get:

Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as you do not have administrative permissions.

Why is everyone trying work arounds? This should not be happening. I tried everything I could possible try, from all the forum posts everywhere, and no results. Besides, why are so many posts about this? This is a serious issue that seems to be with phpBB itself. At least I think it would be nice to have a more clear technical explanation for this.

I installed a brand new fresh install of phpBB-3.0.7-PL1. I was only in the admin area for a few minutes. Logged out, and then after that could never get in again.

PhpBB, please give some insight. This becomes totaly useless if it can't be resolved.

Thanks.

Leo
    louvalie

Post by louvalie »

Alright. I think I have something more to say about this...

After spending quite sometime going through forums, blog posts, etc, from this site and others; I could not find the answer to this problem. The work arounds (even for some that say that worked) was nothing more than that. A reinstall would also seem to be a ridiculous answer to the problem. It does not explain why it's happening and what could cause it to happen again.

So as it turns out it does not seem to be a phpBB problem necessarily. phpBB seems pretty secure and it has some security measures in place. I haven't looked at it deep enough, but it seems that it has to do with the session authentication. It has nothing to do with cache or whatever else. How do I know?

First of all this happens when you login with different browsers, different places, etc. Well, here is what I did and it totally fixed the problem. (Well, it's not really a fix.. yet this was really annoying.. :) You can't go directly to the /adm area. It will give you the Access error. So here it goes:

1) Logged in with my admin as a regular user
    2) At the bottom of the page where it says Registered Users, click on admin.
    3) Next to UserName at the top, click on Admin User.
    4) Then it will ask you for the admin password this time. This will reauthentica the session.
    5) Now wait a bit as it forwards you to the darn core admin area. (so called /adm)

Hope this helps. I'm amazed that I saw this problem in so many forums running back years with poor answers, and some over complicated answers too. So many people with this same issue and nothing was ever resolved that I could find. Strange. If someone has any comments about this let me know.

I think this is something that phpBB could think more about. There has to be a easier way to figure out how the security mechanisms work, so someone new to phpBB doesn't have to spent so much time trying to figure out if something is acctually wrong with the install/script/setup.

Thanks.

Leo
    dwhs
    Name: Charles Yarbrough

Post by dwhs »

I get this too only after installing it a couple hours before. I was in the admin all day then logged out forgot something and now cannot get in.

Version 3.0.7-PL1
    url: http:www.dwhs.net/hostingforum/

I am worried because if spammers get int there I cannot do anything about it.

PS i have search for so long on the forum and I have not found one fix, I tried the admin the admin idea, cleared cache, restarted browser, tried other browsers.

Still it will not let me in, maybe i can clear a cache for phpbb?
    ric323
    Former Team Member
    Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

What exactly are you doing, and what is happening?
    "It doesn't let me in" isn't enough information to work with.

When you log in, do you see the "Administration panel" link in the footer?
    What happens when you click it?
    The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
    How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
    How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
    Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
    goinv8huntin
    Name: john doe

Post by goinv8huntin »

I had the same issue.

New board with mods. Restarted PC. Couldn't log in with FF or IE. I was able to get in with Chrome. In FF, I removed all of my cookies that were tied to the troublesome forum, and voila, I am now able to access. If you are using FF, download the "Cookie Monster" add-on.
    Exp: HTML/CSS/PHP/SQL

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”