gzip problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
edzillion

gzip problem

Post by edzillion »

Just enabled gzip compression and instantly got a lot of random ascii symbols, eg:

����Nġ/s�u6����[{s�6�[�o˩$Jv�#�y��M�

I presume it is because my server does not support gzip (which is strange, no?).
I can't change the setting back because the administration page will not load now (the same symbols).
Where is the configuration file for this? I could then change the setting manually and get my board back...

Thanks
Ed
The Official goldassets.co.uk Blog

edzillion

Re: gzip problem

Post by edzillion »

hmm
It seems to work to some degree with PHP4. That is, I can see the forums, but can't get into the Admin control panel.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If you have access to phpmyadmin you can browse the config table.
On page 4 is gzip_compress
Change that field from 1 to 0 by clicking the pen icon.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

edzillion

Post by edzillion »

Thanks for the help kev.
Actually I think this is a bug: I googled 'gzip php5 phpbb' looking for some help, and found this reference to previous problems with these three under the changelog for ver 2.0.3
Fixed some problems with gzip in combination with newer PHP versions and Mozilla
So I gave IE a go and it worked, but still gave some errors at the top of the page.
I'll see if I can submit the bug - I thought that it might have been fixed in an update so I went to the server tab in ACP. but all I get on that page is
Information
Permission denied
in a red box.
How do I fix this? I have searched on found nada...

Cheers
Ed

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”