Missing smilies

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DOSGuy

Missing smilies

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 am

It seems that the smilies folder included with phpBB 3.0 is missing a few files. When creating posts, the "Smilies" section didn't have icons for the following emoticons: :D, :), :o, :?, :wink:

It turns out that the forum was looking for files called icon_biggrin.gif, icon_smile.gif, icon_surprised.gif, icon_confused.gif, and icon_wink.gif, which are not included in phpBB-3.0.0.zip. I was able to recover them from my phpBB2 installation, but what about people who are installing phpBB for the first time?
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com

Help build the user-editable DOS Games Compatibility Wiki.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Missing smilies

Post by karlsemple » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 am

If you converted it is likely that the converter failed to move some of the images across from your phpBB2 install which are not present in a default phpBB3 install :)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:19 am

Right you are! The phpBB3 versions of those files are icon_e_biggrin.gif, icon_e_smile.gif, icon_e_surprised.gif, icon_e_confused.gif, icon_e_wink.gif, respectively. So the problem is that the converter failed to update those 5 smilies. Unfortunately, they're pretty much the most important ones! My posters have been unable to use the standard smile ( :) ) icon until now! That should definitely be fixed in the next version.
"Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS games at www.classicdosgames.com

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:22 am

DOSGuy wrote:Right you are! The phpBB3 versions of those files are icon_e_biggrin.gif, icon_e_smile.gif, icon_e_surprised.gif, icon_e_confused.gif, icon_e_wink.gif, respectively. So the problem is that the converter failed to update those 5 smilies. Unfortunately, they're pretty much the most important ones! My posters have been unable to use the standard smile ( :) ) icon until now! That should definitely be fixed in the next version.

The converter does not update the smilies in a fresh phpBB3, it simply copies what you had in the phpBB2 install, it will even copy the image across for you assuming that the permissions are correctly set :)

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 am

Which is clearly a problem if it prevents the most basic smilies from being used.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 am

DOSGuy wrote:Which is clearly a problem if it prevents the most basic smilies from being used.

which problem? The problem is probably that your permissions did not allow the converter to move the images from the phpBB2 install to the phpBB3 install. I had no such issues with the converter. Unless you did something like manually added the phpBB3 smilies by uploading the phpBB3 images to the smiley folder? The converter takes what is in phpBB2 and puts it into the phpBB3 install, so this is not something which is going to affect default installs of phpBB3.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:48 am

I just followed the instructions. I'm sure that anyone who does the same will be in the same position.

Anyway, I've analyzed the differences between smilies in phpBB2 and phpBB3. Six of the smilies have changed (icon_e_biggrin.gif, icon_e_smile.gif, icon_e_surprised.gif, icon_e_confused.gif, icon_e_wink.gif, icon_e_sad.gif). You can manually update from phpBB2 smilies to phpBB3 smilies by going into phpbb_smilies and changing smiley_url (i.e. icon_sad.gif -> icon_e_sad.gif to use the new sad smiley). Change smiley_height to 17, except for icon_e_surprised, which should be 19. Remember to purge the cache when you're done!

There are also two new smilies (icon_e_geek.gif, icon_e_ugeek.gif) which will not have entries in phpbb_smilies if you convert from phpBB2. You can create new entries for them and associate them with ":geek:" and ":ugeek:", respectively.

The workaround is pretty simple, but it's still a nuisance. I understand that people use custom smilies, but the "core" smilies should be updated, even when converting from phpBB2. If people want to use custom smilies for the core smilies, they can easily reinstall them.

KSparkuhl

Workaround for missing smilies???

Post by KSparkuhl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:39 am

DOSGuy wrote:The workaround is pretty simple, but it's still a nuisance.
Could you provide me the workaround for this? I'm still learning this interface and just need a point in the right direction. Thanks!!

cwcarter

Re: Missing smilies and Post Icons

Post by cwcarter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:01 pm

I have a sort of different problem.

I am new to phpBB and installed a new full version of phpBB 3.0 so converting does not seem like the right fix for me.

In my case... when creating a message both the Post Icons and Smilies icons are blank/missing. I have tried several different styles and the problem appears in them all.

Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do to fix this problem?

This is my URL: http://www.pioneerfamilies.us/phpBB3/

Thank you for your assistance.
-charles

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:10 pm

You need to set the permissions on your folders.
403 Permission Denied
You do not have permission for this request /phpBB3/images

cwcarter

Post by cwcarter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:20 pm

Will 666 work or should it be 755 or 777 ?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:02 pm

cwcarter

Post by cwcarter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:22 pm

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

Best regards,
-charles

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”