Choosing Between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Active)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Dzien Dobry

Choosing Between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Active)

Post by Dzien Dobry » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:00 am

Having a search option on my forum is a very important feature. When I installed my first phpBB in April of 2002, I don't recall having to decide between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Active). With my recent upgrade to phpBB 3.0, I now have a choice.

At first I didn't think that my guess of trying Fulltext Native (Active) was premature. Now, 5 hours later, my system is still rebuilding the search index. Should I have chosen Fulltext MySQL? What are the relative advantages and disadvantages between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Active)?
My database type is MySQL.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Choosing Between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Active)

Post by EXreaction » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:37 am

If your database supports it, you should use Fulltext MySQL, it will cut the size of your database by around 1/3, and you do not need to wait to rebuild the search index.

Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:13 am

I just now posted a ticket with my web host, asking them if my MySQL database supports Fulltext MySQL. I sure hope they answer in the affirmative because my database size in phpBB 2.022 was 41.0 MB. After the conversion, it was 22.8 MB. After 5 hours of rebuilding the search index, the total database size only went up to 23.1 MB. If Fulltext MySQL isn't available to me, what do I do? The Fulltext Native search index rebuilding process doesn't seem to be working for me.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:22 am

I believe the only requirement for the database is that the posts and topics table are MyISAM.

You can try switching and see if it gives you an error. If your tables are not MyISAM you may be able to change them to MyISAM in phpMyAdmin (view the table, go to Operations, and select MyISAM as the storage engine. I do not know if switching storage engines could cause a problem, so it would be best to get a database backup before you try it).

angelside

Post by angelside » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:06 am

What is differences between "Fulltext MySQL" and "Fulltext Native"? Which one is better performance?

I see; "Fulltext MySQL" does not use and "phpbb_search_wordlist" and "phpbb_search_wordmatch", well by using what, how to make a search, where is cache?
phpBB Türkiye | Turkish phpBB3 support and develop
phpBB3 Portal | simple portal for phpBB3 Olympus

gth

Re: Choosing Between Fulltext MySQL and Fulltext Native (Act

Post by gth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 am

(editted)

Okay, so it says to delete the index you don't want to use - but should the "(active)" text move to the only index remaining? At present it remains on the Fulltext Native index section, even though I deleted it.

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:44 pm

The "Active" search index is set under the General tab -> Server Configuration -> Search Backend.
Have you hugged someone today?

GoBieN

Post by GoBieN » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 pm

If i change to mysql fulltext should i delete or empty the wordlist tables?

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:52 am

GoBieN wrote:If i change to mysql fulltext should i delete or empty the wordlist tables?
It is not necessary to empty the wordlist tables, but it will save you some database space. If you do decide to empty the wordlist tables, don't do it directly in the database. Use the Delete Index button in Maintenance -> Search Index.
Have you hugged someone today?

dressale

Post by dressale » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 am

You can try switching and see if it gives you an error. If your tables are not MyISAM you may be able to change them to MyISAM in phpMyAdmin (view the table, go to Operations, and select MyISAM as the storage engine. I do not know if switching storage engines could cause a problem, so it would be best to get a database backup before you try it).

noth

Post by noth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:44 pm

EXreaction wrote:If your database supports it, you should use Fulltext MySQL, it will cut the size of your database by around 1/3, and you do not need to wait to rebuild the search index.
is this still the case with 3.1 please?
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”