Direct attachment download

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
javispedro

Direct attachment download

Post by javispedro » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:13 am

Hi. Since phpBB3, the only download method avalaible for attachents is through download.php, that is, the PHP reads the file and sends it to the client. However, I'm using DreamHost, so this way downloads take a lot of time and often the PHP process is killed while downloading.

Is there any way I can set up phpBB3 so that downloads are done directly again? From what I've seen in the code, the only way implies changing both the source and the database: Change download_type to PHYSICAL_LINK on all download categories, then replace 'unique' in the clean_filename call at functions_posting.php to 'real' or 'unique_ext' to at least have an extension.

All users (including anonymous) have access to all files on my board, so that shouldn't be a problem. What other problems could appear If I do this on a live board? I'll disable ExecCGI on the uploads folder and most extensions except for image, document & zip files.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”