Oddly... blank?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DLKeign

Oddly... blank?

Post by DLKeign » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:31 pm

When I attempt to access installation (phpbb3/install/index.php) I get a completely blank page. I know I've got the location entered properly, it just.. doesn't display the installer. If I just navigate to the install folder I get a list of all the documents in it, and I can open them to the exact same thing - blankness.

I have removed and then copied fresh files into the right place several times and am getting the same result.
- When I first downloaded them and attempted to set up things on my server (I'm using Apache 2.2) it worked fine, I got all the way to the table creation where I would get an error with the 'syntax' - which I figured out was because I'd been selecting MSSQL instead of MySql 5 (another issue, phpbb doesn't seem to think I /have/ MySql 5 when it listed what was available and what wasn't)

So I removed everything - apache 2.2.8, php 5.2.5, phpbb3, mysql 5, and redownloaded then reinstalled each of them (apache, mysql 5, php, and then phpbb3) but this is what I'm getting now: blank pages, or directory lists basically that take me to more blank pages.

Any idea what I can do to fix this?

DLKeign

Re: Oddly... blank?

Post by DLKeign » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Bumping, I guess. It's been nearly a day that the thread has been up and I've yet to get a single response. Hopefully today will get me something.

Robster-uk

Post by Robster-uk » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:30 pm

I've been getting exactly the same thing.

I currently run phpBB 2.0.23 which is located at http://www.mydomain.com/forum and it works (though the user admin doesn't work as I'd like hence the upgrade).

On exactly the same server I've uploaded phpBB3 into http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB3. When I try to run it either by pointing to phpBB3, phpBB3/index.php, phpBB3/install or phpBB3/install/index.php I either get and "Internal Server Error" or a "Webpage cannot be displayed".

I've now downloaded the source code a couple of times, uploaded all the files 4 times, but still get the same problem. Net result lots of time spent and can't even get to installation screen.

Is there anybody out there that can help?

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:18 am

Robster-uk

Post by Robster-uk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Okay to answer the standard questions

Your board's URL: http://www.tri-anglia.co.uk/phpBB3
Version of phpBB3: v3.0.0
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? fresh
Was this an install through your host? no - extracted zip file locally and ftp to host
MODs you have installed: none - install.php won't run to even get that far
When the problem started: immediately after ftp to host

DLKeign

Post by DLKeign » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:05 pm

All of this information was provided in my initial post but I'll put it on the template anyway.

The following is the basic SRT
Your board's URL: http://localhost/phpBB3 (not yet set up to a domain name)
Version of phpBB3: phpBB-3.0.0
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? this is a fresh install, but this might matter: "When I first downloaded them and attempted to set up things on my server (I'm using Apache 2.2) it worked fine, I got all the way to the table creation stage of install where I would get an error with the 'syntax' creating them- which I figured out was because I'd been selecting MSSQL instead of MySql 5"
Version of PHP used: PHP 5.2.5
Database and version used: MySQL 5.0
Was this an install through your host? No, extracted zip file and copied the folder and all files inside to the document root of my server.
MODs you have installed: None, logically. phpbb3 isn't installed.
When the problem started: Upon attempting installation.

karlosthestick

Post by karlosthestick » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:00 am

My host just upgraded to servers which had PHP5.2.5 preinstalled and now the index.php page will not display on my 3.0 install either. Could it be an issue with PHP5.2.5?

Kaitlyn

Post by Kaitlyn » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:00 am

It shouldn't be an issue with that version of PHP as I've been running it without issue. Check your web server log files, it should tell you exactly why the page didn't display.

~K

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”