403 Forbidden on posting.php

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: 403 Forbidden on posting.php

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 am

mod_security is an Apache module that's supposed to improve security by preventing certain keywords from being submitted via POST and GET.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

quoth

Post by quoth » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:56 am

thanks for your quick and concise answer. :D

Does the workaround leave holes in the security? I know nothing of .htaccess files, and don't have time to research untill tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,

EightOhProlene

Post by EightOhProlene » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Just had this problem myself, from out the blue. Would like to hear more about it.

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 pm

quoth wrote:thanks for your quick and concise answer. :D

Does the workaround leave holes in the security? I know nothing of .htaccess files, and don't have time to research untill tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,
I've never actually heard of anything being prevent by mod_security, actually, so disabling it should be fine.
EightOhProlene wrote:Just had this problem myself, from out the blue. Would like to hear more about it.
As per this thread, it's usually caused by mod_security. You can do as suggested to figure out what is triggering it (keep trying to post small chunks until it errors out, then reduce the size of that chunk to see what's tripping it), but I'd just have it disabled (mod_security that is).
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

tonygil

Post by tonygil » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:27 pm

SOLUTION:

the problem is being caused by your host's apache security settings: modsecurity. it is blocking certain keywords. in my case the problem was with the word GET or any variation: target, forget, getty, etc etc.

talk to support and they can fix it in no time.

other references:

http://www.integramod.com/forum/solved- ... t2466.html

Ford Warrior

Post by Ford Warrior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:06 pm

where is this mod_security file located? .... specifically would it be on the control board or perhaps in the filing system?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:40 pm

Neither. It's a function on the hosting side.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

M.O.B.

Post by M.O.B. » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:14 am

My site is also having this same issue: http://www.mixingonbeat.com/phpbb/viewt ... f=3&t=8796

I will report this to my host. In my case it seems to trigger the error when we type the following sequence of text with numbers:

or 19"

but seems to be fine if we write it like this:

or (19")

I tried entering the code (mentioned in the first page of this thread) in the .htaccess file in the root of the forum, but triggered a new error blocking the entire site.

murdock

Post by murdock » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks for this. I just had the same problem. Everything was fine on my site until my host moved me to Apache 2. Lots of stuff broke, and I am going through the pages fixing things one by one. While I am doing this, I am archiving my old code in a "admin only" forum in case I ever need it again later. I made one post with no problem. Then went to make another post a few minutes later and hit the 403 error. And my search brought me here. So I decided to look in the error logs, and found this:

Displaying: error_log
[Fri Dec 02 01:03:09 2016] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 403 (phase 2). Pattern match "[[:space:]]*script" at ARGS:message. [file "......./apache2/conf/httpd.sec.conf"] [line "134"] [hostname "www.zzzdomainzz.com"] [uri "/forum/posting.php"] [unique_id "ERTSFDHS456ERFDGSDF"]

Adding the SecFilters didn't work for me. My host has compiled the module to forbid this. I had to contact them to fix it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:45 am

looks like they did not setup the server correctly and/or their "mod_security" program is not set correctly.

if your board was working before the server move then it should still work just fine after the move if the host did it right.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”