Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
lalazura

Post by lalazura »

I've searched these forums and cannot for the life of me find a fix for my problem.

I updated from RC5 to 3.0.0 today then installed a new theme as my old one was broken. Couldn't make posts or anything until I did this. Also the avatars were coming up as "User avatar" and not an actual picture. I can't seem to find a fix for this.

And just so it's said, all the appropriate folders have the correct permissions assigned to them as instructed, and of course avatars are enabled in the ACP -- this is why I'm confused.

Is there something I need to change? If so please let me know, I'd appreciate it. This is really annoying :/
Thanks in advance~
darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: Avatars not working?

Post by darcie »

(To get the obvious question out of the way,) the avatars are all still present on the server and were not overwritten by the update? What method did you use to update?
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader
lalazura

Post by lalazura »

Yup! They're definitely there. I even tried to upload a new avatar just in case, however I got the same result. Though, I did get a "500 internal server error" message when I tried to reach the image via right clicking the "User avatar" link and selecting "view image" though, if that helps in some way.

Also, I used the ftp update option.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Just to rule out the obvious can you go to the ACP -> General -> Avatar settings -> and make sure they are on and that the right path is entered?
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
lalazura

Post by lalazura »

Yes, they're turned on as stated above, and the path is correct.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

lalazura wrote: I did get a "500 internal server error" message when I tried to reach the image via right clicking the "User avatar" link and selecting "view image" though, if that helps in some way.
Do you get the same error when you paste its URL into your webbrowser?
lalazura

Post by lalazura »

Yes
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

What is the permissions on your /download directory? It should be 755 and download/file.php should be 644
Traci

Post by Traci »

I've been having similar problems getting the avatars to work. The avatar inmages were present in inthe images/avatars/gallery folder however they weren't showing up when a member wanted to use an avatar from the gallery. Finally I found out that in the administration panel if you redirect the avatar gallery to: images/avatars it works fine, don't move your images, just drop off the last /gallery part from where the manager wants to direct the command. It doesn't make sense but it works after that change.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Traci wrote: The avatar inmages were present in inthe images/avatars/gallery folder
Gallery avatars need to be in a subdirectory of that gallery folder
lalazura

Post by lalazura »

Brf wrote:What is the permissions on your /download directory? It should be 755 and download/file.php should be 644
Oh wow.. Ok thanks that worked lol... the download directory was set to 777 instead of 755. <3s for life!
tj1182

Post by tj1182 »

Traci wrote:I've been having similar problems getting the avatars to work. The avatar inmages were present in inthe images/avatars/gallery folder however they weren't showing up when a member wanted to use an avatar from the gallery. Finally I found out that in the administration panel if you redirect the avatar gallery to: images/avatars it works fine, don't move your images, just drop off the last /gallery part from where the manager wants to direct the command. It doesn't make sense but it works after that change.
Yep, this worked for me.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

The intended way for that to work is to put the avatars in subdirectories of the gallery folder. That way the subdirectories act as catagories of avatars. The way you are doing it, your catagory will show up as "Gallery". If you then allow uploaded avatars, they will start showing up in your gallery under the catagory "Uploads".
Traci

Post by Traci »

Thanks everyone ! I did get it going by creating a subfolder inside the "gallery" as you all suggested. (ie. images->avatars->gallery->cartoons) Thanks !
TheBoss1

Post by TheBoss1 »

Brf wrote:What is the permissions on your /download directory? It should be 755 and download/file.php should be 644
Where do I find these areas? I looked in the download/file.php and did not see a permission 755 or 644. I downloded the download file off the server with my FTP program to look in it. I am new at this, could you tell me where I can find thes areas.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”