RC5 to Gold? pulling certain threads?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wwekrazy

RC5 to Gold? pulling certain threads?

Post by wwekrazy »

Hi all,

I have a forum running RC5 I am ready to go to Gold. I saw on here that it is easiest to do a clean install of gold with the same database then just update database.

However, I have alot of threads. I don't mind making a new board and just pulling over the usernames and stuff. But I want to be able to keep certain threads that aren't older than say a month. Is there a way to copy only certain threads and restore them to a fresh database? Also which tables would I need to copy to make sure that I pull the configuration settings of the forum exactly the same to the new forum?

I am assuming I can just restore the particular tables I need to the new database or will that be an issue as well since the RC5 database is different from the Gold version?
ScionCrow

Re: RC5 to Gold? pulling certain threads?

Post by ScionCrow »

If you have no modifications installed, you can simply overwrite the phpBB files (do not overwrite config.php however) and then just run the update. I've done it myself when keeping updated with the RC versions. You won't lose any posts or users at all. As long as they exist in the database, you'll be fine when upgrading the forum.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
wwekrazy

Post by wwekrazy »

ScionCrow wrote:If you have no modifications installed, you can simply overwrite the phpBB files (do not overwrite config.php however) and then just run the update. I've done it myself when keeping updated with the RC versions. You won't lose any posts or users at all. As long as they exist in the database, you'll be fine when upgrading the forum.

I was gonna do that but my database is huge and I wanted to just start fresh and keep the old posts.

Oh well
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Um, if you mean deleting the newer posts, well.. you'll have to probably delete those posts first or something. There's really nothing I can do to help in the matter. And doing that by hand will probably be quite the task unless there might be an automated process.. The prune function only works on old posts, not new.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”