Registration Restrictions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
mrwindowz

Registration Restrictions

Post by mrwindowz »

I am new to the phpbb script and had a question. I think I am posting this in the right place. I have searched the forum and was unsuccessful.

Is there a way to restrict the registration so that only people with a certain .edu email address can register? I am trying to create a forum that only students or faculty at my university can register on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ScionCrow

Re: Registration Restrictions

Post by ScionCrow »

Honestly, I'm not sure on that type of restriction in the phpBB code.. The only thing I can really suggest right now is to use admin activation and just keep an eye on who registers on the forum. Honestly speaking, it's all I can suggest at the moment.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
mrwindowz

Post by mrwindowz »

That could be an option, but I intend for thousands of registrations and I am not going to be able to keep an eye on the board at all times. Is there some sort of mod I can create for myself maybe? I am not good at programming, but that would be a much better solution for me.
The Senator

Post by The Senator »

DubVRides wrote:I am new to the phpbb script and had a question. I think I am posting this in the right place. I have searched the forum and was unsuccessful.

Is there a way to restrict the registration so that only people with a certain .edu email address can register? I am trying to create a forum that only students or faculty at my university can register on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
There is not, AFAIK, a way to whitelist only a particular email domain for registration, and block all others - you'd need a mod for that, so perhaps a mod request might be helpful in the long run. In the mean time, with a lot of work, you can get close to what you want by blacklisting other email domains to block them from registering - on the "ban emails" part of the ACP, you can use wildcards to block entire top-level domains. If you block *.com, *.net, *.org, and so forth, you'll prevent anyone with an email address from one of those TLDs from registering. You'll probably also want to ban *.us, *.uk, *.ru, and so forth, to prevent those TLDs from registering.

Even then, if you block all TLDs except .edu, that won't prevent someone with an .edu address at another school from signing up, so you'll still have to vet your new users as suggested above, unless you want to go through and block all bazillion .edu domains that aren't you :)
mrwindowz

Post by mrwindowz »

Alright I think I will go ahead and do that. How long do mod requests usually take? Especially if it is an easy request like the one I have? Thanks a lot for all of the help.
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

MOD Requests have no time limit and is completely user-based. Someone may or may not take on the request. So, it's really just a matter of patience and time as to whether or not someone will do a mod of this or something.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”