What Does PHPBB Run On?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
postrooms

What Does PHPBB Run On?

Post by postrooms »

Does phpBB run on its own application or do you need to install it on a PHP Nuke instillation?

Also does phpBB support multiple portals?

I need to have a few forums.... like as follows:

forum_one.DomainName.com
forum_two.DomainName.com
forum_three.DomainName.com

And can users registers on the main site and post on all 3 forums?

Thanks,

Sean
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: What Does PHPBB Run On?

Post by karlsemple »

phpBB is a standalone software and can be installed and run on a php enabled web server.

As for accessing from multiple domains.... not sure that would work due to the differing cookie domains it would create for the cookie, although to be honest it is not something I have tried.
postrooms

Post by postrooms »

What about multiple forums on one domain?

I just need a each forum to have its own page...I thought multiple portals was the way to go?

Thanks,

Sean
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

That is no problem. Each forum will have its one files and will have a different prefix for the database tables or will be installed in another database.
postrooms

Post by postrooms »

Will each user be able to post on any of the 3 forums?

How would the structure lay out on the site?

a Different tab for each forum or are you saying multiple portals will work?

Thanks,

Sean
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Regarding PHP-Nuke, I highly do not recommend that software since it usually requires pay and well.. ridden with bugs as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I looked at a few posts for multi-forums sharing the same user table in the database, but I haven't found too much as nothing out right now is stable.

As far as linking to the other forums go, you'll have to manually edit the HTML file in the overall_header file and manually add the links yourself. I don't know how your forum looks or anything, so that's about as much as I can suggest about the matter.

For portals, that's up to you. I'm currently messing around with phpBB3 Portal and it works quite well, easy to customize and such. Again, up to you what you want to do for your forum.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
kiran_n444

Post by kiran_n444 »

ScionCrow wrote:Regarding PHP-Nuke, I highly do not recommend that software since it usually requires pay and well.. ridden with bugs as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, I looked at a few posts for multi-forums sharing the same user table in the database, but I haven't found too much as nothing out right now is stable.

As far as linking to the other forums go, you'll have to manually edit the HTML file in the overall_header file and manually add the links yourself. I don't know how your forum looks or anything, so that's about as much as I can suggest about the matter.

For portals, that's up to you. I'm currently messing around with phpBB3 Portal and it works quite well, easy to customize and such. Again, up to you what you want to do for your forum.
I totally agree with him. it is possible to run all 3 board on one forum. Theres a MOD, that allows multiple boards:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=559423

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”