Logged Out While Typing a Post

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ScionCrow

Logged Out While Typing a Post

Post by ScionCrow »

It's not me having an issue with this, but rather a user on my forum. No one else has actually reported the issue and I'm not sure as to exactly what is going on. Here's a quote as to what he said on my forum:
I've found that quite often now when I'm trying to type out a response to something someone has said in various forum topics that when I go to submit the response I've tried to make, the system has in the mean time gone and automatically logged me out (usually within 5 - 10 minutes of hitting the 'Post Reply' button, though it has on occassion done it in as little as three minutes too). And when I go through the procedure of logging in again and I get returned to the page I was typing my response onto, all my work has been dutifully erased by the system and I have to start over from scratch. This last happened on the Donations forum when I was commenting on looking into pricing for my own server.
I'm not sure what's going on or anything, so this is quite new to me. It seems as though he's the only one affected by this, and I don't know whether or not it could be cookies/cache or what.. I don't know what other information I can provide other than this right now.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: Logged Out While Typing a Post

Post by Phil »

Can you ask the user who's having this problem what browser they're using and what their cookie settings are? Additionally, can you ask them what ISP they have?
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

I'll come back when I figure out the browser and cookie settings he uses. Far as ISP goes, he's in Canada and uses Shaw Cable from what I see.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

Do you know if Shaw Cable typically quickly reassigns IP address (AOL-esque)? You may want to try setting IP validation to A.B instead of A.B.C... not sure if that'd help, but it sometimes solves issues like this.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

I'm way down in Texas, so I have no idea of any Canadian ISP's. If I can get some PMs exchanged with him, I'll come back here with some more information on it.
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Small update. He replied to me saying that he uses an old, OLD computer right now. Win. 98, IE5. Cookies are on their default settings, so I suspect that might be an issue possibly..

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”