Understanding CSS pertinent to PHPBB....???

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
K2-Kelly

Understanding CSS pertinent to PHPBB....???

Post by K2-Kelly »

Hi All;

Reposting something here I did on the styles forum.......Rethinking it possibly a bit more "how does PhPBB funtion" then a style question....

Hi All;

I've noted something in virtually every post here, and am not sure if it simply stems from tried and true ways of doing things or if there is a reason.....

That being, when "how to change" many things are suggested, instead of stating "go to Styles tab > Themes > Edit" and editing the stylesheet.css, most responses state "pull up this or that .css (ex. colours.css, or content.css) etc. and edit that instead................Why?

Now I have noticed that when I alter the stylesheet.css, it does nothing for the others (IOW does not automatically change them as though it is generated by them)...........So do I need to change both, just one or the other, what and why?

Lastly, should I be editing the various files, then hit "refresh" to alter the stylesheet.css, as it seems to be kept in the "database", and not the file system, and when seeing what it does if I move it I get the following warning/refusal "....."The theme requires that its stylesheet is parsed. This is only possible if it’s stored in the database."

Thanks for your response,

K2

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Understanding CSS pertinent to PHPBB....???

Post by Brf »

If you are editing the stylesheet directly in the ACP, then you are editing only the database copy.
If you refresh your theme from that same page, it will re-read the CSS files and you will lose your changes.

The more permanent way is to edit the proper CSS files, and then Refresh the Theme from the ACP to change the database copy.

K2-Kelly

Re: Understanding CSS pertinent to PHPBB....???

Post by K2-Kelly »

Thanks for the response......What I was figuring having lost all I did a couple times hehe...

K2

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”