Problems with update to 3.0.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
SuperJuice

Problems with update to 3.0.1

Post by SuperJuice »

I am having problems updating my modified installation to 3.0.1. It is not so much the fact that the board is modified, it is the methods made available for the update that I have the issues with.

In the past (throughout the entire 2.0 series from initial release) I have used the code changes packages to update my forum. The main reason being I know exactly what is changing and I can work through the issues when I am doing the update and I know exactly what is changing. It is also much easier to work through heavily modified boards with this method.

Since the update to 3.0.1 release I have been attempting to find the same 'code changes' package for the update, because none of the other methods really fit my requirements. What am I doing wrong?

I downloaded the 'update' package, placed the new install directory in my installation and followed the upgrade procedure. I have _major_ issues with this update procedure. My main and primary one is that the database tables are updated before the code checks are done? In my instance the code checks didn't check out.. so having known this I _wouldn't_ have proceeded with the update. Unfortunately you have to complete the database update _first_ and then do the code checks, which to me doesn't seem right.

Additionally, when 'issues' are found with currently existing files, there is no option to retain the existing file so I can manually update it later. So basically you are forced down a potential broken update and then have no option to retain your existing files if they conflict (without doing some kind of merge with the new files).

All I ask is that the same code changes packages be made available for the update, so people who already have modified boards and want to know exactly what is changing have that option.

Yes the 'patch' files provide this to a degree but I would prefer having the code changes options in plain english as they have been in the past. Changed files, as always is the complete file.. which doesn't really assist in the update of modified files. Am I the only person left stuck in my ways?

If these are still available.. and I am flat out missing them.. please let me know! Or if the update tool offers these features and I am missing them, let me know.
madtay

Re: Problems with update to 3.0.1

Post by madtay »

I am having the exact same problem for the exact same reasons you have posted above. Its almost impossible to complete the update using the methods currently provided with a modded board :(
Interlog

Post by Interlog »

I agree that it would be useful to have the code changes listed as used to be in phpBB2.

The automatic update should work in such a way that any old files that have not been amended would be replaced with the new file and packaged up for upload to the server. Any old files that were amended by the user (due to installation of Mods for example) would not be replaced, but instead the code changes would be listed in a similar format as the phpBB 2 upgrades for the user to manually update themselves.

Also, I recall from the upgrades from one to another RC that the two options when differences were found to me where rather confusing. I can imagine non native English speakers would not be able to understand which option to choose.

Mark :D
omcateer

Post by omcateer »

A also agree the code changes are need for heavily modified boards.
Let me know if you find anything.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

Agree as well. I have just abandoned my update until I can get a clearer picture of what is going to be changed. I now of course have an updated database, and old files.
Go on ! it's not as steep as it looks.....
LeClair

Post by LeClair »

Problem ! Forums setup:
Maximum smilies per post ( Maximum number of smilies in a post. Set to 0 for unlimited smilies. )
Limit 5 smilies !

Example: Admin or moderators edit post: quote 5 smilies + message 5 smilies: total 10 smilies
Problem edit !

This problem version 3.0.0 + 3.0.1 !!!
Last edited by LeClair on Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
SuperJuice

Post by SuperJuice »

Philthy wrote:Agree as well. I have just abandoned my update until I can get a clearer picture of what is going to be changed. I now of course have an updated database, and old files.
Yep, this is the situation I am in.. luckily it was on one of my Dev boards.

To anyone else reading this thread.. if you are reading it and have the same problem.. please post and let us know!
Origin30

Post by Origin30 »

I'm just about to do it, is it not comparing and merging the files on this update?
Origin30

Post by Origin30 »

Correct!

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_compress.php on line 321: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_compress.php on line 323: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_compress.php on line 441: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_compress.php on line 442: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions_compress.php on line 443: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
When trying to download modified files from server.

Leaving update for a while as mentioned.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

In regards to the first few posts, there will not be a Code Changes package, the auto-updater has replaced it. The updater gives you the option to download the modified files, so you can check them if you think there may be an interference.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
SuperJuice

Post by SuperJuice »

Noxwizard wrote:In regards to the first few posts, there will not be a Code Changes package, the auto-updater has replaced it. The updater gives you the option to download the modified files, so you can check them if you think there may be an interference.

I don't think the Auto-updater is as good, especially with the database issue. To suggest it is the replacement when the users lose visibility and functionality (being able to control completely what is going on) doesn't sound like a decision in the best interest of the modding community.

Downloading the modified files still doesn't show you what it wants to change exactly, line by line.
DJ Skitzo

Post by DJ Skitzo »

The only update option which seems usable to me is the patch file update but I cannot get that to work.

Any of the other options will destroy my board so from the look of things, unless a code change option is given my board is stuck on version 3.0.0
greenmtn

Post by greenmtn »

I agree. This whole auto updater thing is a bust. I haven't even modified all that much and with the auto updater I get a general error that "the update files are incomplete". Without a documented list of the code changes I have no real options for updating.
Daryl Grant

Post by Daryl Grant »

Glad I read this.. I was just about to update my heavily modified board... GULP :cry:
clight77

Post by clight77 »

Just finished auto updating, not heavily modded but all seemed to go well that i can tell.
I Follow Up On My Posts.
So Should Everybody...

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”