3.0.0 to 3.0.1

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
madmax765

3.0.0 to 3.0.1

Post by madmax765 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:09 am

Where can i find just a text file on the changes ? The update dose not seem to be that great for me to use.
i just like a simple text file that show what was added,changed or delete... i got to many mod's and styles added to redo it all thanks

SuperJuice

Re: 3.0.0 to 3.0.1

Post by SuperJuice » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:32 am

Join the club:
[Removed]
Last edited by Marshalrusty on Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Completely irrelevant

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:39 am

madmax765 wrote:Where can i find just a text file on the changes ? The update dose not seem to be that great for me to use.
i just like a simple text file that show what was added,changed or delete... i got to many mod's and styles added to redo it all thanks
With phpBB 3.0.x, no code changes package will be released. This package has been replaced with the automatic update script, which is able to make changes to the files automatically using a diffing engine. You will be notified of any clashes and will be able to go ahead and do those by hand.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

SuperJuice

Post by SuperJuice » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:40 am

Why was my thread link removed?

It is the exact same issue.

Are you trying to smooth over the fact that the codechanges package was used by a large portion of people who you are forcing to use a script with potential problems (that I have outlined)?

madmax765

Post by madmax765 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:44 am

Marshalrusty wrote:
madmax765 wrote:Where can i find just a text file on the changes ? The update dose not seem to be that great for me to use.
With phpBB 3.0.x, no code changes package will be released. This package has been replaced with the automatic update script, which is able to make changes to the files automatically using a diffing engine. You will be notified of any clashes and will be able to go ahead and do those by hand.

"You will be notified of any clashes and will be able to go ahead and do those by hand."

ok that's where im at..how can i make the changes.. if i dony know what they are ?

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:46 am

SuperJuice wrote:Why was my thread link removed?

Are you trying to smooth over the fact that the codechanges package was used by a large portion of people who you are forcing to use a script with potential problems (that I have outlined)?
The code changes package is very simple to generate, and the existing diff engine can be used to do exactly that. The developers felt that there was no reason to provide the package because there is not an automated way of doing what you had to once do by hand. There are also dozens of tools available (KDiff3 for example) that will show you all the changes between two directories. If you're running Linux, it's even easier.

Your link was removed because it has no bearing on this topic. Please stick to your own topic.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

SuperJuice

Post by SuperJuice » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:52 am

Have you actually read my topic? it is raising the exact same issue, no codechanges package made available.

madmax765

Post by madmax765 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 am

OK Thank You Marshalrusty Ill try that one program you said "Kdiff3" I guess i am used to the old school ways, That the new way seems harder to me. But i know it will be easyer. (I think) once i figure it out... :D

p.s. running xp pro

clight77

Post by clight77 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:10 am

SuperJuice wrote:Why was my thread link removed?

Seems odd it was removed, i did read your post by the way, i guess they hate the realism of fact...
I Follow Up On My Posts.
So Should Everybody...

Zarggg
Name: Tom Ditmars

Post by Zarggg » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:46 am

Marshalrusty wrote:This package has been replaced with the automatic update script, which is able to make changes to the files automatically using a diffing engine. You will be notified of any clashes and will be able to go ahead and do those by hand.
But what about custom styles? I know that changes were made to proSilver and subSilver2... would it be possible to make a summary of those changes available so that I could modify my proSilver-based and subSilver2-based styles accordingly? Or is there any easy way to grab those changes from the update backage? I've never had much luck using diff-programs.
My phpBB installation: http://forum.clantitan.org/

Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:49 am

The issue with custom styles is that they are, well, custom. That means that you can't efficiently auto-update it. At the moment I haven't seen a summary of style changes, but for the RC process Raimon was very good about keeping a list of them in the styles development forum -- keep an eye out there.

Regarding any other purpose, there's nothing else the updater can't do. It's just a diff engine.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

SuperJuice

Post by SuperJuice » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:15 am

The point has never been about making the auto-updater capable of doing custom styles, we realise it is just a diff engine. The point is, having the codechanges gives you the freedom to update them manually, something which gives you far greater visibility than the auto-updater, especially when working with styles.

No one expects the Auto-updater to do everything, but I think it's fair to expect an alternative for heavily modified boards that isn't less-functional than what was previously provided.

madmax765

Post by madmax765 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 am

SuperJuice wrote:The point has never been about making the auto-updater capable of doing custom styles, we realise it is just a diff engine. The point is, having the codechanges gives you the freedom to update them manually, something which gives you far greater visibility than the auto-updater, especially when working with styles.

No one expects the Auto-updater to do everything, but I think it's fair to expect an alternative for heavily modified boards that isn't less-functional than what was previously provided.
I could of not said it better my self. So please makers of phpBB3 Hear our crys. If you can and would post a list of changes. We the phpbb users would be very happy. I know i would be. Please a codechange please. I hate to look at the hole file then conpare it to the modify one... then figure out the changes...so many things might be over look.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Marshalrusty. Easy to you it might be, To some it is not so easy (me being one) there is 141 files that where changed Going page one by one and comparing them, Time i would get it done. then phpbb3.0.2 would be out :cry: If you or some one could make the list we all would be so happy for that.

P.S. I still Think phpbb is the best... Don't let us lose fath
Last edited by madmax765 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:06 am

Do you guys know if you download the patch and open it in a text editor it has a list of the changes in a sort of code change format although I agree this is not a useful as the codechanges. The style code changes have already been posted in the styles forum short of that the code changes are just not liekly to happen :)

madmax765

Post by madmax765 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:12 am

karlsemple

Are you talking like the file phpBB-3.0.0_to_3.0.1.patch ?

like i got it open, i see like this

*** 45,52 ****
$phpbb_admin_path = (defined('PHPBB_ADMIN_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ADMIN_PATH : './';

// Some oft used variables
! $safe_mode = (@ini_get('safe_mode') || @strtolower(ini_get('safe_mode')) == 'on') ? true : false;
! $file_uploads = (@ini_get('file_uploads') || strtolower(@ini_get('file_uploads')) == 'on') ? true : false;
$module_id = request_var('i', '');
$mode = request_var('mode', '');

But how do you know what file it is to edit ?

Thank you for trying to help us with this

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”