'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
yuffie_city

'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

Post by yuffie_city »

i've done a search on this error and got a few threads back but none seem to give a definitive answer!

after several months of (largely) problem free use of phpBB3 this morning i was greated with the error

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User bathcity_new3 has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

i assumed it was my host (valuehost) but they cam back with the answer
Try to disbale (sic) your forum and access DB from the panel. The error means too many visitors at once (1203). 1203 - is realy (sic) too many and the server can not handle it.
firstly isn't 1203 the error code and, more importantly, i can't access the forum to disable it - what can i do?!
zeroK
Former Team Member

Re: 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

Post by zeroK »

Yes, 1203 is the error code and not the number of connections ;-) The problem is, that the switch to disable the board is also in the database, so all you can do is someone instruct the webserver to not server your board for now. An easy way would be to add an index.html in your board's folder and add something like this to your board's .htaccess file

Code: Select all

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /forums/
RewriteRule ^.*\.php$ index.html [L]
Which will basically redirect all requests to .php files to the index.html if this all takes place in the /forums/ folder :-)

Otherwise I guess, all you can do is start looking for a host that allows you to serve more users simultanously or allows you to completely configure your web- and database server.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
yuffie_city

Post by yuffie_city »

is there nothing the host can do to refresh (restart?) the database?
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Sure, they could start closing threads currently connected to your db, but as the word "currently" suggests, this is perhaps a problem with your site simply having outgrown what your host wants to provide you.
Image My weblog | gamerslog.com | No support via PM or ICQ or email - If you don't know a term or a program mentioned in a post -> Google is your friend
yuffie_city

Post by yuffie_city »

well, i'm happy to delete old threads and users if i could just get to the database!!!
zeroK
Former Team Member

Post by zeroK »

Your number of topics etc. has nothing to do with the number of connections to your database. This has more to do with the number of users that want to access your board.
safito

Post by safito »

VPS or a dedicated server is the only solution...

Most of the shared hosting accounts, configure their defaults by only accepting a 100 connections at the same time per account

I'm going to be hones with you, I had the same thing before, I use to be hosted on godaddy deluxe hosting, according with them, they only allow 100 max conections at the same time, believe it or not, a phpbb3 forum, with a 120 users/5 minute range (registered and unregistered(according with the forum sessions) and 4000 registered users was giving me those errors.

My forum grew up within 1 year to handle that kind of visits, then I moved to a dedicated server of one of my friends, the problem, he had a shared hosting plan, so he was serving almos 150 clients, some of them bad configured, and it was giving me a headache, then, I went back to godaddy with a VPS solution.

So far so good, I'm hadling the same magnitude, the vps solution costs around 29,95 x month, shell access is definitively the best tool out there, the simple control panel which is free under their plans, is vast enough to configure your site.
okidokibr

Post by okidokibr »

That´s not true.

My have dedicated 4 processor only for my site, and this same bug appear every day. PhpMyadmin freeze and I cant access the database.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”