thread counter not working from direct link ??

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: thread counter not working from direct link ??

Post by karlsemple »

This does not happen on my board so it is something you have done to your board, the page count increases everytime you view the page (unless you are a bot)
Mario_AU wrote:well i went to group forum permissions ---> guests ---> select all forums ---> advanced permissions ---> misc ---> Increment post counter
That is nothing to do with the pages view counter, that setting allows the posters "post count" to increase when they post.

Mario_AU

Post by Mario_AU »

karlsemple wrote:This does not happen on my board so it is something you have done to your board, the page count increases everytime you view the page (unless you are a bot)
care to guess what it could be ?? i use subsliver 2 as the board style. the one that came with the forum. i deactivated prosilver. other than that i have no major mods...
also just now (like 5 minutes ago) i switched to prosilver (and purged cache too) and tested it some more. no difference. so i switched it back...

what could it be ???
i mean it's not as if the counter is busted and doesn't register views, it's only that it only registers views if the topic is gotten to via the forum. (not via direct clicks to the specific topic)

also that other user had the same issue ????

is there any setting that would disable the view counter via direct links ? so i can check if it somehow got enabled?

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

As I mentioned earlier your view counter is working fine, I have just posted your link on my board and then clicked it, the resulting tab which opened caused the topics view counter to increase, your board is working correctly.

Mario_AU

Post by Mario_AU »

karlsemple wrote:As I mentioned earlier your view counter is working fine, I have just posted your link on my board and then clicked it, the resulting tab which opened caused the topics view counter to increase, your board is working correctly.
it can not be working 100% correctly. as it is, the need for speed topic has 92 views. it should be over 3000 views.
so i accept that it may "work" for you but it does not show the correct views.

here's a test i just tried to see if the view counter increases - as i am testing - and it doesn't!!
i open my site to the "pc games related section" from firefox (fyi: i'm logged in as a moderator)
specifically here: (that way i see the view counter numbers ie: the replies and views ones)
http://mariosworld.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

i then open ie7 and go to:
http://digg.com/world_news/Need_For_Spe ... me_warning
once there, i click the link that is:
http://mariosworld.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=259
which loads the specific topic.

i then switch back to the open firefox window via the tab key, and hit reload. and the views number is the same!! it does NOT increase!! i tried it many times too, not just once....
also when in ie7 i am just a guest (which what anybody else would be, and what you were) so i am NOT logged it to my forums from the ie7 session. (which is what i want, to be just a guest)
Last edited by Mario_AU on Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dowelld

Post by dowelld »

And if you hold down the CTRL key when you hit the refresh button in Firefox it behaves the same ?

Mario_AU

Post by Mario_AU »

dowelld wrote:And if you hold down the CTRL key when you hit the refresh button in Firefox it behaves the same ?
???

all i know is it's nothing to do with me.
i know that a particular topic should have had thousands of views and yet still only shows around 23x.
something ain't right....

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”