Changing FAQ text

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
MarkDHamill

Changing FAQ text

Post by MarkDHamill »

I'd like an extension to change some of phpBB's FAQ text by pulling the text from the extension's language file and replacing the default language strings selectively.

It's not clear to me what the best way to do this is. In /phpbb/help/manager.php I see this event: core.help_manager_add_question_after. It uses the function add_question() but it's only called from the function add_block().

Without knowing the help block too, how would phpBB know which block should be used? But even if I tie into the core.help_manager_add_question_after event, wouldn't add a nearly duplicate question rather than replace it?

I would like to selectively replace some of these language strings. Seems there must be a better way to do this.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: Changing FAQ text

Post by kinerity »

Haven't looked at the FAQ file, but couldn't you make a language file which duplicate the language var name and use placeholders? Obviously, this is just a mock-up.

Code: Select all

'FAQ_TEXT_1'	=> '%1$s',

Code: Select all

$this->template->assign_vars([
	'FAQ_1'	=> $this->language->lang('FAQ_TEXT_1', $row['db_value']),
]);
Not sure if duplicating core language vars is allowed though.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team
GitHub repositories (including un-released extensions)
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I placed it in the language file en/common.php file but it doesn't take. So it needs to be attached somehow. I assumed an applicable event was the way to go.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Kindle and paper versions available.
kasimi
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by kasimi »

Did you see this extension? viewtopic.php?t=2481781
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Yes, I was considering that and I may go with that solution. I'm trying to consolidate a number of custom changes into one extension for ease of future maintenance. But thanks for reminding me!

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”