Sorry for Reaking of Noobishness

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
foxrings

Sorry for Reaking of Noobishness

Post by foxrings »

TL;DR
Can you add new users (to a board with registration blocked) by simply adding new MySQL rows to the user table(s)?

I have an idea for a [3.1.x] Ext—similar to phpBB Invite 3.0.0—but with one extra core feature: "Invite Contamination Analysis"

But I'm plan on running the board on [3.0.x] until [4.0] drops, and I looked into KillBill's [3.0.x] Mod to see if I could add my new feature; and I nearly had an aneurysm looking at all the XML involved. This Noob is barely literate in Codeigniter, so it doesn't seem worth it to learn to write Mods, when Extensions are the way of the future for phpbb.

So my plan for a temporary solution, is to have a separate system on another subdomain (forum.example.com & invite.example.com) written in CodeIgniter. I only write code in my limited free time, but I would like to get the system built ASAP; is this option possible?
Last edited by foxrings on Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Sorry for Reaking of Noobishness

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the answer is basically no. the reason is because you have to write to several different tables in the database to create a new user, not just the user table.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
foxrings

Post by foxrings »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:the answer is basically no. the reason is because you have to write to several different tables in the database to create a new user, not just the user table.

robert
D'oh, that sucks. I was really hoping that was going to be the solution to my problem.
foxrings

Post by foxrings »

What is everyone's thoughts about rolling with 3.x versus moving forward to Extensions and 4.0
The list of mods available for 3.x is a much larger library.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

foxrings wrote:What is everyone's thoughts about rolling with 3.x versus moving forward to Extensions and 4.0
The list of mods available for 3.x is a much larger library.
That's just because 3.0 has been available longer.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

3.0 hits end of life either this month or next. then 3.1 will have about a year or so I think , then 3.2 will come along.
it could be years before 4.0 comes out if at all.

as to your problem, there is a function in phpbb for adding users . just do a search here for "add user" or someting similar and you will find plenty of posts about how to do it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:as to your problem, there is a function in phpbb for adding users . just do a search here for "add user" or someting similar and you will find plenty of posts about how to do it.

robert
And there is a validated mod and extension too.
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
foxrings

Post by foxrings »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:as to your problem, there is a function in phpbb for adding users . just do a search here for "add user" or someting similar and you will find plenty of posts about how to do it.
robert
And there is a validated mod and extension too.
Both of those are very good news! With just the info both of you have given me, I should be able to make the rest of it happen! Thank you very much!

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”