referencing thumbnail width

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
shortmort37
Name: Dan Morton

referencing thumbnail width

Post by shortmort37 »

Can someone tell this novice how you would reference ACP -> attachment settings -> thumbnail width from content.css, and from attachment.html?

Thanks
Dan
Last edited by bonelifer on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from phpBB Discussion
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: referencing thumbnail width

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

what does that mean? what are you trying to do?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

I'm returning to an earlier attempt to make a gallery style for attachments. For thumbnails whose width is fixed statically on upload, I'd like to match their display width in content.css with the ACP definition. For videos in attachment.html, I'd like to dynamically set the video width to the same.

Dan
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

There should be a value in the config-table having "thumb" in the name, so just look with SELECT * FROM phpbb_config WHERE config_name like '%thumb%' in your DB, and then use $config['your_config_name'] in your script.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Thanks Frank! I will check that out. That will work for templating in attachment.html - what about in content.css? (And thanks for your earlier script for resizing thumbnails - I'll be using that when I deploy my gallery.)

Dan
canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

For content.css - won't work because it is not "templated".
But you can define the main parts of the class in content.css and overwrite the width and height from your template. There you can use template variables set by your script - it is already done eg. for flash files <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0" width="{_file.WIDTH}" height="{_file.HEIGHT}">

Glad you find my little script useful ;)
Greetings, Frank
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Many thanks!
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Hi Frank,

Returning to this topic again.
canonknipser wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:04 pm There should be a value in the config-table having "thumb" in the name, so just look with SELECT * FROM phpbb_config WHERE config_name like '%thumb%' in your DB, and then use $config['your_config_name'] in your script.
Yup, that worked - the name is img_max_thumb_width. However, I have to reference it via templating somehow, no? It's in attachment.html. I want to dynamically constrain the width of an mp4 video based on its value (I've modified attachment.html to play mp3/mp4's natively in an HTML5 browser) - which, is different than _file.WIDTH.

Thanks
Dan
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Hmmm... From this reference, it looks like I need to do:

$template->assign_var('S_THUMB_WIDTH', $config['img_max_thumb_width']);

And then I can use it in my mod'ed attachment.html like so: <video width="{S_THUMB_WIDTH}" height="auto" controls name="media">

That is, unless the maximum thumb width is already defined somewhere as a template variable (although, I couldn't find it). Am I correct about this approach?

If so, what is the proper PHP Controller file where I should assign the variable? (It looks like attachment.html is referenced in functions_content.php, so I'm guessing that's the file.) And is "$template" above a generic name, for which I should substitute some other name?

Thanks
Dan
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

OK - I was able to assign the variable for thumbnail width I created in functions_content.php, and pass it to attachments.html. And it constrains the width of video, just as I had hoped.

However, I created "figure" and "figcaption" in content.css, to permit thumbnails to float in a gallery style, and to attach a caption to them. In "figcaption", if I set "width: 350px" in content.css, I can constrain the width of the caption block to that of the thumbnail, and text wraps. However, if I want to make it respect the thumbnail width set in the ACP, and pass it to attachment html like so: <figcaption width="{_file.S_MAX_THUMB_WIDTH}"> , it doesn't exhibit the same behavior. The border around the thumb and the caption expands to contain the caption. Here's an example:

http://www.59plymouth.net/59test/viewto ... f=3&t=2921

Any ideas? I can hard-code content.css, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Dan
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

canonknipser wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm Glad you find my little script useful ;)
Hi Frank - useful indeed! I see elsewhere that you have contributed to an extension that presents jpeg EXIF data. Most browsers have the ability to respect orientation when presenting the full size image - but, is there a parameter I can supply to ImageMagick in your script, to have it generate the thumbnail in the proper orientation?

adTHANKSvance
Dan
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Hmmm... Perhaps I should RTFM :roll:

It looks like -auto-orient is what I need to add. Thanks again for a lovely script!

Dan
canonknipser

Post by canonknipser »

Hi Dan, sorry for the late respond, somehow I missed your last posts.
I'm not sure if your figured out by yourself in the meantime.

For your css questions, I'm not a designer and my css knowledge is very, very basic, so I'm the wrong person for that.

But as a global statement:
Did you create your own style as a inherited style or do you modify the original file? Keep in mind when working with the original, you must redo all edits after phpBB-Updates.

And for modifying the php-file: better to create a extension which creates and injects the new variables to the template (my extension does pretty much the same)

shortmort37 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:00 am what is the proper PHP Controller file where I should assign the variable?
I use core.parse_attachments_modify_template_data as you can see here: https://github.com/canonknipser/viewexi ... er.php#L26

Maybe it is also a option for you to use your own template by using template events in attachment.html instead of modifying the original one.
Idea (untestet):

Put your own code in shortmort_attachment.html and create a template switch S_SHORTMORT_ENABLED in your extension (true when you want to send out "your" code, false when you want to use the original attachments)

create two files in your extension
attachment_file_before.html

Code: Select all

<!--- IF S_SHORTMORT_ENABLED -->
<!-- INCLUDE shortmort_attachment.html -->
<!-- ELSE -->
attachment_file_after.html

Code: Select all

<!-- ENDIF -->
shortmort37 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 pm Most browsers have the ability to respect orientation when presenting the full size image - but, is there a parameter I can supply to ImageMagick in your script, to have it generate the thumbnail in the proper orientation?
Normally, during upload via plupload the images shout be rotated automatically; and the generated thumbnail should work on a already rotated images, so no need to rotate again for the thumbnail. But some images (esp. from mobiles) often have wrong orientation flags.
shortmort37 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pmRTFM
O yes, that helped me a lot the last 30 years ... :roll:
Greetings, Frank
shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 »

Hi Frank, sorry to belabor this point:
canonknipser wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am Normally, during upload via plupload the images shout be rotated automatically; and the generated thumbnail should work on a already rotated images, so no need to rotate again for the thumbnail. But some images (esp. from mobiles) often have wrong orientation flags.
Here's an example where I upload an image - with or without the -auto-orient flag to ImageMagick's convert, it doesn't matter - and the thumbnail is on its side. Yet, when I click on the thumbnail to present the full size image in the browser, it reorients!

So, how is it that the browser hangs the source correctly - but, ImageMagick gets it wrong when producing the thumbnail? I've tested with and without -auto-orient. I'm still confused. (I should add that the icon for the image in my Windows folder is oriented correctly as well.)

Thanks
Dan

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”