Some new ideas for PHPBB Ext!s

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
bigjoe11a
Name: Joe Moody

Some new ideas for PHPBB Ext!s

Post by bigjoe11a » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:54 am

For those of you who may and may not play games. One game I can think of is hard to add mods to this game. It's just a pain in the butt. Everyone or most of you know Minecraft. When added single mods can be a major pain, That includes people playing the game for the 1st time. My idea if this.

I wanted to see if I could get some PHP help (I haven't coded in PHP in over 10 Years) making an ext for PHPBB that would let Minecraft Modders add there mods to a New database and tables using the config files for PHPBB. This could let them add updates and so on for their mods. the ext would be setup using Minecraft Version as a Category from a pull down menu. Then the would click a refresh button. It then would let them update mods. Delete mods and so on. This is for mods all by them selfs. This is doesn't include modpacks. Just single mods. So that anyone can add a mod of their choice to their game. This all so include mods needed to run mods them selfs. If you get the idea.

I know I'll have to read up on how to make a Ext for PHPBB, the thing is that if I needed help. Will if be available???
2nd question is there a discord server for PHPBB by chance. If so anyone have the link for it.

and the last thing. how would these people get and view a list of these mods and download the ones they want. I do some programming and I would be willing to make software for Windows versions to let any one playing Minecraft to download and install and use this software for FREE(That's not a error). the software would read the info from a pull down drop box and be able to view all the mods for the Minecraft version that wanted. With release notes and any other mods needed to run the mod they want.

if anyone has time to help. Send me a PM, and I would like to here from anyone with ideas and/or comments.

Bigjoe
Last edited by thecoalman on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Writers Discussion

posey
Name: Gijs

Re: Some new ideas for PHPBB Ext!s

Post by posey » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm

You can indeed make an extension for this
You're basically asking for users to be able to upload a file (probably in zipped format) to your website, with a form where they can select and insert information about the file. And then a page where they can view all the uploaded files (with possible selectors/filters such as categories).

I would suggest first trying to get a simple (setup) extension working, before getting into it.
- Extension Skeleton

As for your questions:
1. There is help available here, in this forum: Extensions writes discussion. Or you could post on Area 51 aswell.
2. There is no Discord server, or something similar, we use the good old forums!

Here are some useful links for you:
''I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is.''

bigjoe11a

Post by bigjoe11a » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:57 pm

After installing the demo ext and reading the documents on how to make ext. I wanted to let you know that this is way too advance for me. I would have to start from scratch and learn from the beginning. this would give me some kind of an idea on how PHPBB works and runs.

Do you know of a tutorial and/or a video tutorials that I can learn to code in PHP that would be the same as PHPBB. I do have an account with udemy.com. That's where I can pick up on video tutorials for all most all kinds of programming. If someone could tell me what lession I would need that would teach me what I would need to learn to make Ext for PHPBB that would be great.

BJ

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Sounds like this => Download Extension could do the job you outlined in your initial post.

bigjoe11a

Post by bigjoe11a » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks for the link. Since it's in another language. can you tell me what's it for. I have no idea what that ext is or or why you think it would help.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:08 am

As you did not object to how posey summarized your demands let me put it this way:
posey wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm
You're basically asking for users to be able to upload a file (probably in zipped format) to your website, with a form where they can select and insert information about the file. And then a page where they can view all the uploaded files (with possible selectors/filters such as categories).
This is what this extension provides - with a wide range of configurable options: up- and download of files of various types; internal/external download links; elaborate rights management system; quotas; oversight pages; versioning; comment section for each download; description pages; multi-level categories; automatically generated announcement topics for each download in a dedicated section of your board etc. pp.

Why not have a, e.g. local, test installation and see yourself what it can provide you or your users or what it cannot in case I misread your initial criteria list ;)

bigjoe11a

Post by bigjoe11a » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 am

I'm sorry I miss under stood you. I did want to add a download section to my forum. That's true. How ever I wanted to add more then just an upload and download area. This upload and DL area is for mods for Minecraft. and I wanted to code some software that would connect to the forum and this ext. The idea behind it is to make it easy for people wanting just a few mods with having to look on google to find the mods and then find mods that are needed to run the 1st Mod. get the idea.

Ibedejo

Post by Ibedejo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:41 am

To be frank: not really ... ;)
bigjoe11a wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:27 am
I did want to add a download section to my forum.
Up to this point: no questiones. A "download section" can either be a simple dedicated forum within your board or something along the lines of the extension I linked to but separated from the board software and only "bridged" to it, though - or something somewhere in between.
You don't need to code something yourself if an adequate solution already exists.
bigjoe11a wrote:
and I wanted to code some software that would connect to the forum and this ext.
This is where I start loosing your point, sorry.
This sounds like a separate piece of software, some kind of a database with its own front- and backend - but what would be this "ext" (or its respective purpose or function in the whole construct) you want this being connected to?
bigjoe11a wrote:
The idea behind it is to make it easy for people wanting just a few mods with having to look on google to find the mods and then find mods that are needed to run the 1st Mod. get the idea.
Have the extension mentioned create announcement topics for each download/package in your board, put all the nescessary detailes in them to show their respective interdependencies, maybe add links between them as well, and make this board section open to searchbots to "spread the information" to the internet.

All you need, IMHO, is to have potential users find their way to your board for one of these "mods" via Google & Co. and so find these additional information you mentioned. If Mindcraft and modifications or enhancements for this game in general is what your board is dealing with, this should pretty well cover it - or did I miss something important again?

bigjoe11a

Post by bigjoe11a » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 am

Let me try and explain in more detail. See not everyone that plays Minecraft wants a lot of mods. Maybe 1. or maybe 5. The idea is when a Mod maker goes to, Registers, and goes to the ext. It will ask that user if he/she is a player or modder. If the user picks modder. The user can post there mods and any core mods needed to run the mods. The modder can then post descriptions and so on. Now. I can code some software for people who hate googling all the mods they want to add to their game. So The software will let them connect to the ext. and go threw the list of mods uploaded by the modder. then that user can download the mods and cores right too their pc to the right folder.

See I here this all the time where people can't stand spending all the time looking for mods. and most of the time the mod packs have so many mods. That the lag the crap of of their PC's. So this is an idea to avoid the headache of searching and downloading mods that may or may not work.

Does that help. I didn't want to give more details. I wanted you to get the idea of what I wanted to do. I run a discord server for Minecraft and I run a Minecraft server. I here this complaint all time from other server owners. I wanted to come up with an idea that would help beginners add mods to there game without the pain.

BJ

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”