Taking over an abandoned extension

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
jasolo

Taking over an abandoned extension

Post by jasolo »

I would be interested on taking over an abandoned extension. The active author died four months ago and the original author is missing: not logged to this forum since October and no response after sending him an email from the forum and filling an issue in the Github account of the extension. So I could take over the extension and start a new topic in the Extensions in Development forum respecting the GNU GPL. Can I use the same name or it is better to think a new name in case the original author reappears and resumes the extension?
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Re: Taking over an abandoned extension

Post by 3Di »

Are you talking about javiexin? https://github.com/Wolfsblvt/advancedpolls/issues/121

I personally own his intellectual properties, based on what Javier told me to do in his last PM (September 2017).
Not sure how you know has passed away though, please contact me via PM or in case you can't, github https://github.com/3D-I/site thx.
There is basically nothing wrong on picking up an ABD extension as long as you obey to the license (which speaks book), I feel though that this is a special case worth to be discussed a bit. Just for the respect which Javier deserves :geek: . To add, I PMed one of the guys of the Customizations Team about that so called "ABD" extension. Please standby. I will be more than glad to continue his work, due to the fact I know his way and I have been asked for, by himself.

Edit: I am reading the announcement (I speak Spanish too).
RIP Javier, you have been a great friend and teacher.. I'm speechless right now. I hoped it wasn't true. :( descanse en paz.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Sorry guys, it hurt me to know it so definitely.
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

3Di wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 pm Are you talking about javiexin? https://github.com/Wolfsblvt/advancedpolls/issues/121
Yes, that is the extension. I did not get to know javiexin personally and now I am the admin of that forum, where that extension is necessary. I will wait for the result of your queries. ;)
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

As per the GPL anyone is free to take over a extension, as long as the original copyright is retained within the code. You are ofcourse allowed to add yourself as well to the copyright, but you cannot modify the existing copyright. There is no need (Unless requested by the original author) to change the name.

Our policy regarding taking over extensions is that the new author can open a new topic in extensions in development if it was marked as ABD. We do not reopen existing topics with a new author. Ofcourse in general we suggest you try to contact the original author first, but that is not possible in this specific case.
If you want too take over a approved extension, you should (If possible ofcourse) first ask the author to hand it over. If the author isn't responding, you should send a member of the customisations team a PM to request it.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

Hey guys.
I randomly stumbled upon my old extension on GitHub and found this discussion.

Very sad to hear about javiexin :( He seemed like a good guy and did a great job continuing my extension.

For future stuff: It's easier to contact me via mail: [email protected]

I am still considering getting back to developing phpBB in the future, it's in the back of my head, but my time is sparse right now,
so it's totally okay if you want to take over development from now on, @jasolo.
I can give you write access to the repository if you want to start it.
For the development topic, I guess Paul explained it great. So I don't need to do anything there.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

Wolfsblvt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am I can give you write access to the repository if you want to start it.
At Github I am @jasoloz.
3Di wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:58 pm I will be more than glad to continue his work, due to the fact I know his way and I have been asked for, by himself.
3Di, I would like you to join the project too, to take advantage of your experience developing extensions and because the more people the better.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

hmmm? I been absent for some 10 days and this is one of the first things I read. Even though I didn't know javiexin and never made contact with him, it feels like a loss. His extensions were probably the first ones I could read and understand because he described almost each step in his files.
It's probably going to be difficult to follow in his footsteps but it would be a nice hommage to the guy to keep his extensions alive.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

jasolo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 am 3Di, I would like you to join the project too, to take advantage of your experience developing extensions and because the more people the better.
No, I only see interest in your request.
Let me call it "different points of view" (backyard maybe).
But, as I above said (and then reiterated by Paul), the License says everything (speaks book) and leaves no room for wills.

Go ahead, I see you sure of your chances so you do not need my help.
Besides, I'm already carrying on other Javier's extensions, as well as a large list of mine.
Wolfsblvt

Post by Wolfsblvt »

You guys are confusing me a bit. Is there anything going on with a conflict?

Maybe I will see and plunge into extensions again. I have postponed the upgrade/remake of my own boar for far too long.
Is it difficult to pick up development for 3.2? I have only started with 3.1 in the past.
If you have a specific extension request and you are willing to pay for, you can write me a PM.
My extensions (Trending: @Mention SystemAdvanced PollsUser Online Time)

»Du kamst zu uns. Deine Stimme kam. Du zeigtest uns die Sterne. Sie funkelten. Wir konnten sehen.«
3Di
I've Been Banned!

Post by 3Di »

Wolfsblvt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 pm You guys are confusing me a bit. Is there anything going on with a conflict?
No. :)
I am sure Javier would be more than happy to see their works (in this case, improvements to your original work) be taken for the good.
By my side, I don't feel confortable to work with everyone aks me to do so, that's me.
Wolfsblvt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 pm Maybe I will see and plunge into extensions again. I have postponed the upgrade/remake of my own boar for far too long.
Is it difficult to pick up development for 3.2? I have only started with 3.1 in the past.
You are a coder, Docs for 3.2 extensions are available and a smart search within this forum will take you to the right answers. If not, please ask.
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

Wolfsblvt wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 pm You guys are confusing me a bit. Is there anything going on with a conflict?
I do not think so. No problem in taking over the extension by myself. ;) Waiting the write access to the repository.
david63

Post by david63 »

jasolo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm Waiting the write access to the repository.
Why not just fork it?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

david63 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 am
jasolo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm Waiting the write access to the repository.
Why not just fork it?
:+1:
If it's in the CDB on here though is a different story. $github != $cdb;
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
jasolo

Post by jasolo »

david63 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 am
Why not just fork it?
I prefer not to fork it. So I make pull requests and push commits, but if Wolfsblvt has not the time to approve them, I will need write access and Wolfsblvt has offered it.
Just suppose I fork the extension. What happens if in the future Wolfsblvt comes back and does not like my changes? then there will be two extensions with the same name. In that case renaming the extension would be a good idea. But as I said, I prefer to use the original repository. I am a newbie in GPL things so maybe I am wrong.

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”