Taking over an abandoned extension

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Re: Taking over an abandoned extension

Post by MattF »

jasolo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 am
david63 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 am
jasolo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm Waiting the write access to the repository.
Why not just fork it?
I prefer not to fork it. So I make pull requests and push commits, but if Wolfsblvt has not the time to approve them, I will need write access and Wolfsblvt has offered it.
Just suppose I fork the extension. What happens if in the future Wolfsblvt comes back and does not like my changes? then there will be two extensions with the same name. In that case renaming the extension would be a good idea. But as I said, I prefer to use the original repository. I am a newbie in GPL things so maybe I am wrong.
No, if you fork it, then you have your own copy of it and you can work on your own copy of it, and leave the original behind forever too. You should fork it. That's how the whole GitHub thing works!

If Wolf comes back later he will not know anything about your changes, because all you've done has been on your own repository...totally independent of his. Your fork, your repo, your own version of the extension.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
Raul [ThE KuKa]
Style Customisations
Style Customisations
Name: Raul Arroyo

Re: Taking over an abandoned extension

Post by Raul [ThE KuKa] »

Sorry for Off Topic...

I'm in shock and very sad, RIP Javier. 😢
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
:warning: Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules | phpBB Styles Rules & Policies | Styles Queue Stats :warning:

If you like my styles, translations, etc. and want to show some appreciation, then feel free to Donate.
:flag_es: phpBB Spain - Online Since 2003 :heart:

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”