ADM MOD Browser & Auto Installer?

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
dapico

ADM MOD Browser & Auto Installer?

Post by dapico »

I've been using phpBB for years and have used other forum systems similar.
I believe phpBB could benefit from having a built-in MOD browser and Auto-Installer.

I am tempted to work on getting something like this started, is there a reason it hasn't been done before?
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Re: ADM MOD Browser & Auto Installer?

Post by Kailey »

phpBB no longer uses MODs (and hasn't since the introduction of extensions with phpBB 3.1).
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
dapico

Post by dapico »

Why hasn't someone created an auto-installer for extensions?
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

dapico wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:23 am Why hasn't someone created an auto-installer for extensions?
In comparison with the old process extensions do already auto install, though I see how a one click install would be desirable. I've thought about such a thing myself recently.

There are a lot of ways you could go about doing so, all of which would be pretty difficult considering the nature of it.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Restless Rancor

Post by Restless Rancor »

There's this: viewtopic.php?t=2256956
And, I can't find it, but I'm positive I read in an article the other day that they were looking at an update system like wordpress uses, so I think extensions could end up going down that route too.
Last edited by Restless Rancor on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are not the droids you're looking for...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Please explain to me why uploading a few files using FTP then clicking enable in the ACP is a problem?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
dapico

Post by dapico »

I would love to be able to have the same sort system that the official releases have.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

And what's that system? As i know, it's the same method as for extensions. What was pointed above is not officially implemented to core, but only as pull request on github.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
dapico

Post by dapico »

Restless Rancor wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 am There's this: viewtopic.php?t=2256956
And, I can't find it, but I'm positive I read in an article the other day that they were looking at an update system like wordpress uses, so I think extensions could end up going down that route woo.
This is the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

dapico wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 am
Restless Rancor wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:53 am There's this: viewtopic.php?t=2256956
And, I can't find it, but I'm positive I read in an article the other day that they were looking at an update system like wordpress uses, so I think extensions could end up going down that route woo.
This is the closest thing I've seen to what I'm looking for.
To be honest that's just an on site interface for ftp, no different than it is now... I was thinking you wanted moreso what wordpress has.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
dapico

Post by dapico »

The extention does have a list of extensions that I can browse and install from without having to upload. I just wish the browsing feature was a little more prominent and that I could select multiple to install at once.

I can just submit a pull request to add/change features from there
fagbutlil
I've Been Banned!

Post by fagbutlil »

Mick wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am Please explain to me why uploading a few files using FTP then clicking enable in the ACP is a problem?

Most of us are lazy.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

There is already an extension that allows you to upload extensions, and there's another extension that allows you to upload themes. The only draw back of course is that you have to manually install these extensions first, then all subsequent extensions can be browsed to with the extension and uploaded automatically through the customize tab.

I can't remember their names off hand now since I don't use them anymore as I am accustomed to manually installing extensions, but it might just be called "Upload Extensions."

It would be nice to have Wordpress-like features for phpBB though. But even with Wordpress, you have to drag and drop a plug-in to the FTP directory folder and then go into your WordPress site and activate it. But the core update process in WordPress is automatic. Or you can opt to turn that feature off which might be a wise idea so that you can see if a new update creates unforeseen issues, and if so you don't have to auto update with one click until the next patched version comes out.

With my WordPress site I allow automatic updates because for the most part I haven't had any troubles or plug-in incompatibility issues, etc thus far. When phpBB 3.2.2 came out I think it was, there were at least four files that needed to be hand edited. So that's why I would be a little reluctant on having phpBB auto update without making sure there are no unforeseen issues. I like to wait at least a week or two when phpBB updates comes out and see how everyone reports back. :twisted: But I have in place now a mirror copy of my forum who's index is protected with a basic HTTP password to keep search engines away from it, etc. In here I test things and new updates. If all goes well then I know I can update my main forum. Which brings up something. If phpBB does come out with an automatic core update facility, I hope it allows you to click an update button rather then doing things behind my back without my permission. Especially if my theme hasn't been updated for the latest phpBB version. I always wait until my current theme has been updated before I move to update my forum.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Restless Rancor

Post by Restless Rancor »

John connor wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:41 am ... But even with Wordpress, you have to drag and drop a plug-in to the FTP directory folder and then go into your WordPress site and activate it...
Not sure which version of WordPress you're using, but for (years?) it's been click-click-done for me- no FTP uploads required.
These are not the droids you're looking for...

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”