Extensions for writing core files

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
bryan23

Re: Extensions for writing core files

Post by bryan23 »

ok understood. Thanks Toxyy and David, it works and appearing in my ACP.

Anyway I would like to know more on what you guys have mentioned on only include the files I have edited.
Toxyy wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 am
bryan23 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:08 am Anyway david, is it possible that I download the prosilver style, edit the files I want, rename it to whatever name I want, and put it in the style folder so that it would appear in my ACP and I could activate it. Does it work as simple as this?
You can set up your style.cfg to have prosilver as it's parent and then you only have to include the html files you've edited.

Edit: david beat me
How exactly you go about doing this?

I only need to put the files I change in to my style folder? Let's say I made a change to overall_header.html, I believe activating my style in the ACP will break my board because it consist only 1 file which is the overall_header.
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

You have to have the same folder structure so your overall header would be where it would in its parent, ie prosilver.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
david63

Post by david63 »

The way that it works is that if you have a "child" style then the templating system will look in that folder for whatever files it needs. If it finds the files then it will use those files, if it does not find the files then it will use the ones in the "parent" style.

I should point out that you must also have the parent style installed on your board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
bryan23

Post by bryan23 »

Thanks to both of you.

What you mean was I can have 2 style (1 parent and 1 child) installed at the same time?

So in the style.cfg that I have declared that my child style parent = prosilver, means it will be like what david said. Phpbb will look up to child style files first (in the root folder), then it will use the parent style files (in the root folder) if there are no "overwriting" child style files.

Am I right to say this?
david63

Post by david63 »

bryan23 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm What you mean was I can have 2 style (1 parent and 1 child) installed at the same time?
Not can but you must have both parent and child installed (I don't think that the parent has to be active - just installed). In fact you can have as many styles installed as you want. Just to complicate it - you can have a child style as a parent of another child style.
bryan23 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm Am I right to say this?
Yes
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
bryan23

Post by bryan23 »

thanks david and toxy. I understand more on how the phpbb style works now. I will begin trying out. will ask for help if I face any issue. thank you!

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”