Editing all quoted info everywhere a post is quoted?

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
Toxyy

Editing all quoted info everywhere a post is quoted?

Post by Toxyy »

So in my anonymous extension, if someone quotes a post and then that post is made anonymous after the fact, people will be able to tell who the anonymous user is. Much of this is fixed by the user not changing their minds but that is not the right solution here.

How expensive would it be to parse all posts in a thread to see if a post has been quoted, then modify the usernames in those quotes? I already modify the usernames in quotes for notifications when submitting, but this seems absolutely idiotic. The only way I can think of to change this would be to parse every post down to like, 3 levels, and add the postid of the post that quoted them in some long array, per quote. That would significantly decrease the having to parse every post thing but good lord this just seems idiotic to think about.

Should I just not allow people to toggle anonymous on and off to avoid this mess? I'm already going to have to modify all notifications if a post is edited, which isn't that bad by comparison but, damn...
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
david63

Re: Editing all quoted info everywhere a post is quoted?

Post by david63 »

Toxyy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:19 pm How expensive would it be to parse all posts in a thread to see if a post has been quoted
That would, to a large extent, depend on how replies there were in the topic (phpBB does not have threads).

Also bear in mind that a post can be quoted in another topic.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Have a look at this one viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2473896 perhaps helps.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

david63 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:26 pm That would, to a large extent, depend on how replies there were in the topic (phpBB does not have threads).

Also bear in mind that a post can be quoted in another topic.
Yeah, that's why I'm more in favor for only allowing it for staff, but it seems that most of the coding is done by this extension:
3Di wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:18 am Have a look at this one viewtopic.php?f=456&t=2473896 perhaps helps.
Thanks! I think this is exactly what I need.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”