event folder

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Re: event folder

Post by 3Di » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 am

3Di wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:53 pm
In the meantime that everyone hopes that this or that will happen here there is a problem to be solved very specifically and for which help has been sought. In this case the help has been given, write (or use skeleton ext on purpose) a small extension and the problem is solved in 5 minutes, much less than all the time spent so far discussing potential (maybe) features that I never think will see the light of day.
MarkDHamill wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:05 pm
Most board owners probably aren't extension developers and it won't be obvious what the solution is, surely not a five minute solution.
This contrasts with your initial statement where you say verbatim:
MarkDHamill wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:25 am
This is not part of an extension, just some work I am doing for a client. I am trying to add some text before the username field on the registration form.
So it is only your task, as you are doing to meet the demands of your customer, to use the solution indicated.
Also because at the moment there are no alternatives.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:51 am

Just to add my thoughts.

It makes little difference as to whether it is done as an extension or as an "event folder" you still have to create the appropriate .html file. The only additional work required for an extension is that you also have to have a composer.json file. The big advantage of having it as an extension is that it is more manageable - you can disable it easily, you can add styling etc.
MarkDHamill wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:05 pm
Clearly it wasn't obvious to me that phpBB had this limitation, as it seemed logical that it should ...
I find that hard to believe. Extensions (and by definition, events) have been around for over five years now and this is the first time I can recall this ever being asked - if it was an option then by now it would have been documented.

Anyway on the basis that the whole style functionality is changing I doubt for one minute that, even if it was possible, this idea will ever come to fruition.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 am

Yeah.

For the sake of the posterity though: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-16088
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

This suggestion is to make phpBB more usable to board administrators. There are lots of them out there. Basically they don't want to keep updating their stylesheets and templates manually as phpBB updates are released. Many of them have some basic skills like being able to edit a stylesheet or template, but lack the broader skills of phpBB developers and extension writers. I believe in phpBB 3.0 admins would directly update the stylesheets in the ACP. So in some sense, some functionality has been lost.
Get the latest versions of my Digests and Smartfeed extensions.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:24 pm

MarkDHamill wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm
I believe in phpBB 3.0 admins would directly update the stylesheets in the ACP. So in some sense, some functionality has been lost.
And when they did that and cleared the cache they lost the changes which is why it was removed.
MarkDHamill wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm
Many of them have some basic skills like being able to edit a stylesheet or template, but lack the broader skills of phpBB developers and extension writers.
I would contend that if a board Admin is capable of editing a stylesheet and/or a template then they are capable of creating a minimal extension (with or without the aid of the Skeleton Extension) to do the same task.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”