Some guidance on how to plan 3.0.13 mod site to 3.2

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
pjdm
Name: Paul Miller

Some guidance on how to plan 3.0.13 mod site to 3.2

Post by pjdm »

I have a modest 3.0.13 site with lots of my own mods that would need me to learn and write extensions when migrating to 3.2. Some of them for reference:
- classified ads with modified db so I can track payment and dates and fees.
- google maps plotting locations of users. see my google map.
- CRON job modded to track new visitors and other types of visitors and their status in the registration process with lots of email notices.
- main page listing of items for sale (updated from a db). see my front page attached.
- code to automatically rotate images in thumbnails and also to thumbnail PDF attachments and other submissions.

Nothing really difficult but it will take some time for me to create the extensions. My question is:
Should I convert to 3.2 in a test site, write extensions, debug then move the 3.0.13 site over when done? Or, should I move now to 3.2, lose the mods and write the new extensions while everyone gets familiar with 3.2? I can code but I'm slow so what should I expect for extension production? What would that classified box take in time to create as an extension, for example?

I am the only admin and coder and I can spend a few hours daily on dev work.

I have a bunch of other things to create extensions for so I am now ready to move forward instead of working on old mods. Everything works well and I'd like to keep it that way. Comments appreciated from the extension writers who have done this already. Thanks.
Attachments
2019-07-23 21_56_08-LancairTalk.net • Index page.png
2019-01-07 14_34_03-Lancairs and People ih Google Maps.png

david63

Re: Some guidance on how to plan 3.0.13 mod site to 3.2

Post by david63 »

pjdm wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:13 am
Should I convert to 3.2 in a test site, write extensions, debug then move the 3.0.13 site over when done?
That would be my preferred way - in facy you are going to have to do that anyway in order to develop your extensions.
pjdm wrote:
Or, should I move now to 3.2, lose the mods and write the new extensions while everyone gets familiar with 3.2?
Whilst it is probably preferable to update to the latest version sooner rather than later I would only go down this route if there is a valid reason - such as your host updating to PHP7 (3.0.13 will not run on PHP7). The problem you will have is that you will loose continuity and functionality whilst you are developing your extensions and your members will probably not be happy.
pjdm wrote:
I can code but I'm slow so what should I expect for extension production? What would that classified box take in time to create as an extension, for example?
No idea how long it will take you but I would certainly be looking in terms of certainly weeks and more like months - there is a steep learning curve when starting with extensions but we are here to help.

On a side note I think that you may have issues with your Google Maps mod/extension as Google have changed their TOS for the use of the Google Maps API.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

pjdm
Name: Paul Miller

Re: Some guidance on how to plan 3.0.13 mod site to 3.2

Post by pjdm »

david63 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:08 am
such as your host updating to PHP7 (3.0.13 will not run on PHP7).
Thanks for the ideas. I have a great host and virtual setup so I run both PHP 5 and 7 so I can run the dev site on 7 while 3.0.14 continues to operate on php5. I think I will just start with the development site and begin work on the extensions and leave the existing site operating.

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”