Changes to Travis Accounts

Discussion forum for Extension Writers regarding Extension Development.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: Changes to Travis Accounts

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Don't even bother requesting OSS credits with travis. It's been two weeks since my initial request and have gotten nothing, zilch, nada in terms of a reply. Might as well just wait until the paid credits on the free account renew each month.

Nice to see a phpBB team member jump in on this topic though. :roll:
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beerImage
david63

Post by david63 »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am
Nice to see a phpBB team member jump in on this topic though.
Where was that - I seem to have missed it :roll: :roll:
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Travis is officially dead. I requested OSS credits one month ago...heard back absolutely nothing. Free credits were supposed to renew December 4th and it shows I have used them all.

And with that there is no longer any CI as no team member has had the common decency to reply to this topic. So with that.....c'est finis.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

We were also caught by surprise with regards to the latest announcement from Travis CI. As it currently stands, we don't have a solution for this yet. However, we're looking at other options that could be viable in the future, e.g. Github Actions.

@Rich: We don't have any affiliation with Travis CI and therefore are not able to resolve any issues with their CI or account tiers. Saying that team members don't have "the common decency to reply to this topic" is just very rude and inconsiderate of you. As you are well aware, we're all volunteers and therefore might not read topics or react as quickly as some might expect from people working full time in customer support.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Marc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 pm
@Rich: We don't have any affiliation with Travis CI and therefore are not able to resolve any issues with their CI or account tiers. Saying that team members don't have "the common decency to reply to this topic" is just very rude and inconsiderate of you. As you are well aware, we're all volunteers and therefore might not read topics or react as quickly as some might expect from people working full time in customer support.
@Mark
  1. I never insinuated there was any connection between Travis CI and phpBB
  2. Having a topic started over one month, November 2nd to be exact, from an extension developer with zero response from a team member (until I made a snarky remark about it) is what I consider rude and inconsiderate. Especially given the fact that it was a prior phpBB team member, nickvergessen IIRC, that initially encouraged the use of Travis. A very simple "We're aware of the issue but don't have a solution" would have been perfectly fine and acceptable but I suppose that's asking for too much. The phpBB team seems to toss around the "inconsiderate and rude" statement quite at will without taking their own in-actions into account. EG, not responding to perfectly legitimate PMs that are sent. Not ones asking for support but legitimate questions. They're read but simply ignored with no response back to the author of the PM. Would you consider that "inconsiderate and rude"?
  3. The "we're all volunteers" is cliche and, honestly, a tired reply. I too am a "volunteer" but seem to somehow find the time to respond to requests for support for my extensions and even for those that aren't mine. Miraculously while holding down a full time paying job. I strongly believe that being a "volunteer" doesn't relieve anyone of their responsibility for doing what they are volunteering to do. If you volunteer and can't find the time to perform tasks then don't volunteer. Simple concept really.
AbaddonOrmuz
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Post by AbaddonOrmuz »

I've been working on a GitHub Actions workflow, however is far from being finished.

https://github.com/AlfredoRamos/phpbb-e ... l/12/files

I'm using Docker services instead of installing the web server stack on the VM, so it connects through TCP/IP instead of Unix sockets.

Assertions for localhost would fail, because the server URL uses the loopback IPv4 address.

I only need to figure out how to configure Nginx (use the Docker volumes) for PHPUnit to have something functional.

I might need to be rewritten.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
Image Imgur | :chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :lock: Auto-lock Topics
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user :penguin:
david63

Post by david63 »

Marc wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:56 pm
As you are well aware, we're all volunteers and therefore might not read topics or react as quickly as some might expect from people working full time in customer support.
I think that we all appreciate and accept that, but I would expect team members to at least read topics/posts in the fora that appertain to their team on a regular basis. That is certainly what I expect, and get, from the team members on my board.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

However, if the members of the Teams do not yet have the solution, it seems obvious to me that they do not post just to let you know that they have read you. And then you can survive all this without being aggressive. Nobody owes us anything, there is no "modus vivendi" in this case, who says you have to do it? I don't have to, if I want to, I do it of my own free will. So take the opportunity to study the alternative
https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-tea ... ub-actions
(or do you expect someone to take the chestnuts out of the fire and then give them to you?)
, then share it and only then can you consider yourself a volunteer. ;)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

Overall my aim will actually be to move away from both Travis CI and Appveyor. I'm not sure if appveyor is even used by most extension authors, but we have used it for a bit now. Unfortunately, it is rather slow when there are more changes being pushed to phpBB or if there are lot of changes to or new pull requests.

In case anyone is interested, my playing field is currently this branch on my fork: https://github.com/marc1706/phpbb/tree/ ... ub-actions
All the PHP & db type combinations you can currently see as commented out already work: https://github.com/marc1706/phpbb/blob/ ... /tests.yml
The mssql tests still fail during functional tests but I also hope to have this fixed soon.

With regards to Travis CI it does currently look like they are not allocating any OSS credits due to a management decision:
https://twitter.com/james_hilliard/stat ... 6691843072
(as always, please be aware that this is not an official statement by Travis CI and might therefore also be a misunderstanding by the customer support representative)
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Marc wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:43 am
In case anyone is interested, my playing field is currently this branch on my fork: https://github.com/marc1706/phpbb/tree/ ... ub-actions
All the PHP & db type combinations you can currently see as commented out already work: https://github.com/marc1706/phpbb/blob/ ... /tests.yml
The mssql tests still fail during functional tests but I also hope to have this fixed soon.
Great to see! :)
With regards to Travis CI it does currently look like they are not allocating any OSS credits due to a management decision:
https://twitter.com/james_hilliard/stat ... 6691843072
(as always, please be aware that this is not an official statement by Travis CI and might therefore also be a misunderstanding by the customer support representative)
I got the exact same message in my request for OSS credits
Capture.PNG
For the record, I used up all 10,000 credits November 4th and as of today they still haven't re-populated for the free account at Travis. Time to move away.
Sajaki

Post by Sajaki »

there is a huge discussion going on on hackernews. looks like most OSS contributors are jumping ship over this.
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

I've begun work on Github actions for extensions here:
https://github.com/phpbb-extensions/ad- ... t/pull/156

It does not work at the moment, because it needs to wait for Marc's work to finish and for phpBB's repo and branches to be updated to GitHub actions first, but this is a start. It's still very much a work in progress.

Like the old Travis config file, you should only have to tweak those few variables that define your vend/pckg name and if you want to enable/disable the other checks like ICC profiles, EPV, etc. And of cousre you can comment out any test environments in the matrix that you don't need or want to run.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
david63

Post by david63 »

Thanks for that Matt.

Will you update when you have it working?
David
MattF

Post by MattF »

Of course. And all official extensions and the skeleton will be updated around the same time.
MattF

Post by MattF »

Posted a new topic as a guide for switching to Github Actions here: viewtopic.php?f=461&t=2578596

Return to “Extension Writers Discussion”