Forum Posting is EXTREMELY Slow

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
Stuka

Forum Posting is EXTREMELY Slow

Post by Stuka »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.1.9
What is your board's URL? www.fsjnetwork.com/forum
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? Tapatalk
What styles do you currently have installed? SE Square Left
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I have tried removing all extensions, but the issue remains.
Please describe your problem.

I would say my forum is of a decent siz. 4567 users, 145,551 total post, and 10,637 topics.

The issue is that any of the forum areas that have a large number of posts/topics are EXTREMELY slow to post too. This often results in Tapatalk creating multiple posts, or getting SQL timeout errors. So, for some reason posting to the database is VERY slow. Areas that have very few posts, do not seem to have the issue.

Are there known performance issues when you get over X number of posts in one area? Should I archive posts that are older than a certain date?

I realize the issue could be due to my host. The CPU and Memory utilization for my instance is not high. Database usage may be considered high, as it does hit over 750KB/sec at times. But i believe this to be almost entirely queries, and not inserts.

Any help would be great, as its starting to get very aggravating :)
Generated by SRT Generator
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Re: Forum Posting is EXTREMELY Slow

Post by JoshyPHP »

Search the forums for DNSBL.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
david63

Post by david63 »

If this is a constant problem that I suspect that the issue lies with your host which I notice is Godaddy whose servers are well known to not perform very well with phpBB.

Also
Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
This may be part of the problem. Host installed versions use modified files and not files from here so nobody knows what may have been changed - you are far better using the files downloaded from this site.

Being cynical it could be that Godaddy are throttling your site in an attempt to get you to upgrade.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

david63 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm If this is a constant problem that I suspect that the issue lies with your host which I notice is Godaddy whose servers are well known to not perform very well with phpBB.

Also
Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
This may be part of the problem. Host installed versions use modified files and not files from here so nobody knows what may have been changed - you are far better using the files downloaded from this site.

Being cynical it could be that Godaddy are throttling your site in an attempt to get you to upgrade.
While I did install using the GoDaddy script, that was done 6 years ago, and has been upgraded numerous times since then by me, not sure how many original files are even left after the 3.0 upgrade.

And it may be GoDaddy's fault, I am going to be speaking with them too. I just wanted my ducks in a row first. Since the issue only happens in areas with a large number of post.
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

JoshyPHP wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:47 pm Search the forums for DNSBL.
I have this disabled under security.
JoshyPHP
Code Contributor

Post by JoshyPHP »

Oh, then it's the other thing I guess. My money is on something related to sending emails. Either way, the working theory is that the server spends its time waiting on an external service such as a SMTP server. That's why all the other pages are fast and it doesn't use much CPU as it's not overworked, it's just idling.
I wrote the library that handles markup in phpBB 3.2+.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm EXTREMELY slow to post too. This often results in Tapatalk creating multiple posts, or getting SQL timeout errors.
Try disabling that tapa... and see.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Stuka

Post by Stuka »

3Di wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:13 am
Stuka wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 pm EXTREMELY slow to post too. This often results in Tapatalk creating multiple posts, or getting SQL timeout errors.
Try disabling that tapa... and see.
I ran for about a week with Tapatalk turned off (Much to the dislike of my users), and it did not seem to have any impact.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”