Sections visually disappeared but still in database/ACP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
JohnCarer

Sections visually disappeared but still in database/ACP

Post by JohnCarer »

Hi,

We are running 3.1.9 version of phpBB with 5.5 mySQL database server. Recently we've come across a problem where after deleting one sub-section and creating another to replace its place would result in a bug that would render the whole section invisible but still accessible via admin control panel link (if user who noticed it had it open otherwise impossible to find). Moreover, the 'lost' section would scrap across random places on the forum and appear in random sections which has no associations with the initial section.

This issue happens from time to time and we have no idea what could be causing it, or how to restore the missing section (with around 7-8 of its sub sections).
david63

Re: Sections visually disappeared but still in database/ACP

Post by david63 »

Can you explain what you mean by "sections" - are they board categories, board forums, tabs in the UCP or something else.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
JohnCarer

Post by JohnCarer »

I've included images to make abbreviations neutral. We have always referred to them as sections.
If it helps, I also noticed an error when this happened saying "this board has no forum" or something in that way. It basically had no ID (https://Censored/forum/viewforum.php?f=ID) or replaced the ID of another section ending up in a mix which couldn't be fixed. Deleting would only make things worse.

David, thanks for your interest in helping out. Looking forward to your reply
JohnCarer

Post by JohnCarer »

Bump
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

double check your permissions for the categories and forums that you are dealing with.

if you create a new category and/or forum you must either create permissions or copy permissions from another category or forum so that you can see them on the page.

just to be clear, what you call sections are either catagories or forums and then sub forums under the forums.

helps to use the correct terminology so that we know what you are talking about and so that you know what we are talking about.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
JohnCarer

Post by JohnCarer »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:16 pm double check your permissions for the categories and forums that you are dealing with.

if you create a new category and/or forum you must either create permissions or copy permissions from another category or forum so that you can see them on the page.

just to be clear, what you call sections are either catagories or forums and then sub forums under the forums.

helps to use the correct terminology so that we know what you are talking about and so that you know what we are talking about.

robert
Ok, thank you. Is there any way we can access or return the missing categories? They are nowhere to be found but they are still in database (not deleted, just unassigned).
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

As i understand, the id's of those forums still exist and parent was deleted, before moving sub under new category? If yes and you can see those forums in acp, why not move those under new parent?
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
JohnCarer

Post by JohnCarer »

GanstaZ wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:16 pm As i understand, the id's of those forums still exist and parent was deleted, before moving sub under new category? If yes and you can see those forums in acp, why not move those under new parent?
Unfortunately I haven't saved the link (it was only visible through link I had open). The sections aren't visible directly from ACP either. At the time, moving those 'bugged' categories under new ones would result in a same bug appearing with the section where it's moved to, or something worse, like whole forum (a bunch of categories) getting mixed or disappearing.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you looked in your browser history, the link may still be in there?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
JohnCarer

Post by JohnCarer »

Mick wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 am Have you looked in your browser history, the link may still be in there?
No...it's been weeks since that. Even if I had the link moving the bugged categories anywhere would only result in more bugs as mentioned in my last reply.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

There's always a method to go back in time with backup. It may not be the best thing to do, but if there is one, made before the problem occurred, then it will solve that problem. Maybe it can be fixed with some sql commands, but i don't know how)
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
SlobberySam

Post by SlobberySam »

Seems the left and right IDs have been misplaced. I too have suffered this, and it does not seem there is currently a way to fix this inline through the ACP. If you have file access to the web server, you can upload fix_ids.php to your main directory. Once uploaded, access the file through your browser and let it run, it will rebuild IDs based on other links. Delete it once done, this works across all 3.0/3.1/3.2 versions affected.

Ensure you take a backup (only the database is necessary, as no files change) prior to performing this.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”