Sharing forums, posts and users from 3.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
idontwantausername

Sharing forums, posts and users from 3.0

Post by idontwantausername » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Guys,

I have successfully installed 3.1 and the board runs perfectly well.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to share users, posts and forums from my 3.0 installation, so that users can post, register and login on either forum, and those posts and registrations will be on both forums?

The reason behind this is 3.1 is still in Beta and is for testing purposes, however the majority of users on our forum are avid techies and will enjoy using 3.1. However the 3.0 installation is heavily modified and has been running absolutely flawlessly for a while and so I want to keep that for our general users.

This way our tech friends on the board can use 3.1 and report bugs etc. and the general users can continue with 3.0 without even knowing the 3.1 installation exists.

Regards.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Sharing forums, posts and users from 3.0

Post by Oyabun1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:59 pm

Do a search on running 2 phpBB 3.0.x boards using the same database. You will likely run into similar problems, but probably additional ones, especially if one board is modified differently to the other one.

Short answer, no.

Even if it was possible, connecting a not fully supported, unstable version to your live database sounds like a foolish thing to do.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Sharing forums, posts and users from 3.0

Post by EXreaction » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:27 pm

It will definitely not work for posts since the soft delete feature of 3.1 changes quite a bit of the database table structure.

If you just want it for testing, you can copy the 3.0 database to another and then run the updater on the copied database. Then just let others play around with the copy (with note that anything posted or done to the testing copy will eventually be deleted when the main site is updated).

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”