Install "internal server error 500"

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
jeepwhisperer

Install "internal server error 500"

Post by jeepwhisperer »

I'm installing 3.1 alongside a 3.0 forum I installed 9 months ago. I'm not updating the 3.0 forum, so technically this is a fresh installation. I'm basically using the 3.0 installation procedure.
When I try to run the installation I get this "internal server error 500" message... I'm pretty sure I'm pointing to the right thing (the phpbb directory that is within the directory of uncompressed files).
My server configuration has been running 3.0 without a hitch, so I'm wondering if there is something different, maybe in the php.ini, that might cause this problem?

Joe Sand

More info: The server error log (just found it) says:

20140804T202956: forums.jeepwhisperer.com/index.php
Failed loading /usr/local/lib/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so: /usr/local/lib/ioncube/ioncube_loader_lin_5.2.so: undefined symbol: zend_error_noreturn
Cannot load Zend Extension Manager - it was built with configuration 1.2.0, whereas running engine is API220090626,NTS
PHP Fatal error: Composer dependencies have not been set up yet, run 'php ../composer.phar install' from the phpBB directory to do so. in /hermes/bosoraweb059/b144/ipw.jeepwhisperer/forums/phpBB/phpBB/includes/startup.php on line 184

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Re: Install "internal server error 500"

Post by Noxwizard »

The first two are problems with your PHP configuration, but shouldn't cause a problem with the board. The last error indicates that you are not using the download package, but the source from Github. You should use the download packages from here: https://area51.phpbb.com/downloads/
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

jeepwhisperer

Post by jeepwhisperer »

OK, I'll start over again. I thought that I got the file from area51, but I just downloaded it and it's definitely different...

I'll report back...
Question: If the domain pointer points to the phpbb directory inside the top level zip folder, are the other directories and files outside this folder necessary on the server?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not sure what you are referring to.
in the zip file you download for 3.1 there is a folder named phpBB3
that is what you upload to your server. just that folder with all of its contents all at one time.

then you visit the url;
yourdomain.com/phpBB3/install

if you want the board to be the root of the domain then you would upload all of the files and folders that are inside the phpBB3 folder to the root of the server.

your domain name will "point" at the root of the server, usually that would be your public_html or www or htdocs directory ( depending on what your host uses ).

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

jeepwhisperer

Post by jeepwhisperer »

My mistake. The first zip file I downloaded, the wrong one, had additional things that confused me a tad. The New files are uploading now and I suspect this will solve the problem...

jeepwhisperer

Post by jeepwhisperer »

That did it! Thanks for the help!

Joe Sand

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 »

jeepwhisperer wrote:If the domain pointer points to the phpbb directory inside the top level zip folder, are the other directories and files outside this folder necessary on the server?
Just to clarify, for anyone else who reads this.

Do not confuse the "main" phpbb3 folder that has all the files in it with the phpbb folder that is within the "main" folder and is part of the package.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

F-3000

Post by F-3000 »

I get error 500 as well, yet I cannot find any error log. I downloaded RC2 from area51. New install, not an upgrade.

One funny thing I noticed, though, that every php file seems to lack ending tag, although that doesn't seem to be the (only?) culprit to the problem, as I even cannot run install/phpinfo.php, regardless do I add ?> at the end of said file.

I'm totally clueless about what goes wrong.

david63

Post by david63 »

The omission of the php closing tag (?>) is deliberate and part of phpBB coding guidelines.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

F-3000

Post by F-3000 »

How to detect if I've downloaded git-version? I'm wondering that if there's wrong stuff in the zip-file, as I see a lot of things in the php-files I haven't seen before.

david63

Post by david63 »

This is where you should download it from
David

F-3000

Post by F-3000 »

david63 wrote:This is where you should download it from
F-3000 wrote:I downloaded RC2 from area51.
I was hoping that would have explained it clearly enough, but yes, that page was the source where I downloaded from. :)

I think that my problem is not with the downloaded content "being wrong". I created a new php-file into the phpBB directory, with very simple content, and it as well causes error 500. I have renamed the .htaccess, and no effect. I own the directory, and I have full rights to it - checked that thru SSH. I'm able to execute that self created file with php on CLI.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

we need more info:
Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

and what is this new php file you have created? what is it for? can you show us the code in code tags please.

drobert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

F-3000

Post by F-3000 »

It was due to improper permissions, after all. Directory, where phpBB directory resided, had permissions of 775, and after I changed them to 755, everything started to work. mkdir thru SSH created the directory with "wrong" permissions.

My apologies if I wasted your time.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”