Database size expansion 3.0.12 to 3.1.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
P_I

Database size expansion 3.0.12 to 3.1.0

Post by P_I »

From my testing it appears that upgrading a site running phpBB 3.0.12, using MySQL for the db engine, to 3.1.0 results in about a 20-25% size increase in the database. Almost all the increase seems to be in the search_wordmatch table.

Is this to be expected? What new features in 3.1 impact the search_wordmatch table and is there ACP setting that will allow the table size to reduce back towards 3.0.12 size?

This might be troublesome for sites running on shared hosting services where there are limits on database sizes.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Re: Database size expansion 3.0.12 to 3.1.0

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

The search wordmatch index is rebuilt during the upgrade, as a fix to this bug:
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12873

I'm not sure why that would increase the size that precipitously, though.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
juliend

Post by juliend »

I did not experience this. My 3.0.12 db size is 504 MB. After converting it to 3.1 size is 458 MB. The main difference appears to be in table phpbb_search_wordmatch which is considerably smaller in the 3.1 version of the site, for some reason....
P_I

Post by P_I »

Thanks for the data point. I've got data points from two different boards, both use MySQL and phpBB Native Fulltext.

When I updated the first one I noticed the db size increase but didn't think much of it. Only I after I updated our main forum, which has a much larger db, and saw the same size expansion did I investigate and find which table accounted for almost all the size difference.

I'm testing the update procedure in a testbed, using a mysqldump of the live databases and then loading it back into a new MySQL database for testing. As a sanity check, I've compared the live database size with the testbed database size before performing the update, just in case something strange was happening when I built the new database for testing.

I guess another testcase would be rebuilding the search index using phpBB 3.1 and see if the resultant table size changes.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
P_I

Post by P_I »

P_I wrote:I guess another testcase would be rebuilding the search index using phpBB 3.1 and see if the resultant table size changes.
I've now completed this testcase. I compared ACP->Maintenance->Search index before and after, the Total number of indexed words dropped by about 2%, but the Total number of word to post relations indexed increased by about 10%.

When I checked the table size in MySQL, the search_wordmatch table has grown even bigger, by another ~20%. :roll: Subsequently I had MySQL OPTIMIZE the table and it reduced it, but it still is still > 25% larger that the table on our live 3.0.12 forum.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Post by bantu »

You may have hit a bug related to https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-12873 there. On my local development board I see that on the phpbb_search_wordmatch table the index un_mtch was created, but unq_mtch was not dropped. Maybe you can confirm this, e.g. using phpMyAdmin > phpbb_search_wordmatch > Structure > Indexes. This would explain the space increase.

Thanks.

Edit: Reported this as a bug here, so we do not forget: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13257 Please confirm anyway.