Registration Default Time Zone

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
huwad

Registration Default Time Zone

Post by huwad »

Hi,

I have installed PHPBB 3.1 on my localhost using xampp, I noticed that when new user will register for a new account instead of using my default board timezone which I set to (+8 Asia/Manila) it is set to UTC America/Anchorage, is it a bug?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Registration Default Time Zone

Post by Oyabun1 »

The default for a new user depends what time zone the user is in and they can also choose the time zone.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
huwad

Post by huwad »

Oyabun1 wrote:The default for a new user depends what time zone the user is in and they can also choose the time zone.
Do you mean it depends on the IP of the user? and PHPBB will suggest and select the time zone?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I doubt it looks at IP for the timezone since a user's Ip may or may not have anything to do with where they are.

I probably looks at the user's computer time.
This is just a guess by me, I really have no idea what it does.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
huwad

Post by huwad »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:I doubt it looks at IP for the timezone since a user's Ip may or may not have anything to do with where they are.

I probably looks at the user's computer time.
This is just a guess by me, I really have no idea what it does.

robert
Well, lets wait for their answer what it really relies. I tested it my self using xampp I dont think its based on our computer time.. I really think it is based on IP, because IP can determine what location you are thru geo location. But it looks like not accurate because it gives wrong time zone
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

trying to locate someone via IP , even the time zone, is not a very reliable way to do it.
many people use proxies etc. Most people have dynamic IPs from their ISP and that means they will change often and may or may not be a local one.

people tend to think that what they see on TV about tracking someone to there house via IP is true.
It is no more true than many other things on TV. the tv shows still show the thing about telling someone to keep the bad guys on the phone long enough to do a trace. nowdays, you instantly know where someone is calling from.

sorry, just a rant. it is too early in the morning for me to be awake yet.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
huwad

Post by huwad »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:trying to locate someone via IP , even the time zone, is not a very reliable way to do it.
many people use proxies etc. Most people have dynamic IPs from their ISP and that means they will change often and may or may not be a local one.

people tend to think that what they see on TV about tracking someone to there house via IP is true.
It is no more true than many other things on TV. the tv shows still show the thing about telling someone to keep the bad guys on the phone long enough to do a trace. nowdays, you instantly know where someone is calling from.

sorry, just a rant. it is too early in the morning for me to be awake yet.

robert
Yah you are right, except for one thing, people has dynamic IP from their ISP, thats right, they will change often, thats right. they might not be local, thats wrong. ISP is not too far from your place, If so it is called long loop connection, doing long loop connection has a poor network. by the way I dont want to explain too much, we are OFF to topic, You must study networking and not to learn it from others by your mistake.. The main topic is phpBB time zone suggestion is not accurate. thats why I'm asking "SOMEONE WHO REALLY KNOWS" what it really relies, majority always relies thru geo locations, that's why I think it is automatically generated by user's IP. to the developers, correct me if i'm wrong. and please tell me how does it work.. because for me its not giving accurate time zone.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

huwad wrote:because IP can determine what location you are thru geo location.
No it doesn't, I work for a Dutch company in the UK and use their webserver which is in Holland so to all intents and purposes I'm in Holland. IP's aren't an accurate pointer to location and they can be scammed or changed. The board takes it's time from the server it's on and normally that's UTC by default. You can use this free tool to check the time on your server. The PHP time() function handles the rest. Normally ACP time is set at UTC as this is what guests and users not logged in will see. UCP Time can then be set to each individual users preference.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
huwad

Post by huwad »

Mick wrote:
huwad wrote:because IP can determine what location you are thru geo location.
No it doesn't, I work for a Dutch company in the UK and use their webserver which is in Holland so to all intents and purposes I'm in Holland. IP's aren't an accurate pointer to location and they can be scammed or changed. The board takes it's time from the server it's on and normally that's UTC by default. You can use this free tool to check the time on your server. The PHP time() function handles the rest. Normally ACP time is set at UTC as this is what guests and users not logged in will see. UCP Time can then be set to each individual users preference.
Yah, IP is not accurate pointer of location but it is the only way to get a location thats why Im asking why registration suggest wrong time zone? basically user's not fill-up forms that is not compulsory as default. suggested time zone is not correct. most of my users is from Philippines, I thought setting the board default time zone will be their default if they have miss to fill it up. We are all know that time is very important. that's why I'm asking what is the resolution for it? before I use 3.1 in my site
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

It uses Javascript to figure out the timezeone, so it's based on the user's system time. If it's picking -8 instead of +8, it could be a bug.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”