Request-URI Too Large The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
marksalehouse

Request-URI Too Large The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

Post by marksalehouse » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 am

I am on 3.0.12:
I downloaded the Zip file for the automatic update.

I raised this issue when I tried to move to 3.1 but nobody came back about it.

I am now trying 3.0.12 -> 3.1.1 and I am getting the same thing
Request-URI Too Large

The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.
So, at the ,moment I cannot progress. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

marksalehouse

Re: Request-URI Too Large The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

Post by marksalehouse » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:45 am

What about this then?

I take it new files are created in -> /public_html/bb/install.new/update/new

So do I just download these, then upload again.
If so, do they all go into the root directory?
Do I need to delete other files from the root?

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: Request-URI Too Large The requested URL's length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

Post by kinerity » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:33 pm

What instructions are you following? the instructions here tell you how to convert from phpBB 3.0.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

marksalehouse

Post by marksalehouse » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I got this from the server people. To do as they say and go to a new server will cost per month what I pay yearly.
We've investigated this matter, and discovered that the update procedure causes a generation of a URL that exceeds the size of the default web-server directive 'LimitRequestLine' in length. The default length is 8190 symbols.

To resolve this, we would need to recompile Apache on the server with a higher default 'LimitRequestLine' value, but as the server is a shared one, doing so will compromise the server security.

Due to this, we can only recommend an upgrade of your account to a VPS or a dedicated server, where such customization is possible.
I did not want to go down the road of wiping practically the whole set-up as suggested but now I have to.

RaythXC

Post by RaythXC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:14 pm

What exactly are you doing thats generating an url of over 8000 characters?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:53 pm

They don't need to recompile apache, just modify the apache config: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/co ... equestline
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:29 am

Also, you can't set this higher than 8190 without modifying the source and rebuilding.
I'm with RaythXC, I call bull. Your host seems to only care about getting more money out of you. I'd look for a new host. I can't think of a URL that's over 8000 characters.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”