updating hangs at database

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
millipede

updating hangs at database

Post by millipede » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:26 pm

Edit: updated info on the issue down on post 8 in this topic I believe.

I'm trying to do the automatic update from 3.0.12 to 3.1.1
It had a LOT of files to delete and a LOT of files to change, but that all went smoothly. After rechecking, two more needed to be fixed and that went well.
I felt so close to the finish line here... Then, the next step was to update the database.
Oh, I should say that I have the required mysql and php versions necessary.

It said not to interrupt the database being updated so, I've been sitting waiting... however, nothing at all happened after I clicked the button. Well, the page is blank.
Right now the page is on ..../install/database_update.php?type=1&language=en and it's just blank. No sign of anything happening... no words, nothing.
I'm a bit unsure of what to do now. I am so tempted to hit that refresh button.
Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info than this.
Last edited by millipede on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: updating hangs at database

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:32 am

After doing the file check you would be presented with a compressed package of files to download. That needs to be downloaded, uncompressed and the contents uploaded back to the root of the board.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:11 am

I was running the automatic update and at that point, I was choosing the ftp method. It's what I've always done for updating phpbb... It all said it was done and the next step was to update the database. Then it got stuck on a blank page not doing anything.

I can try running the install again to see what happens, and choose a different method I guess. Anything is better than just having the board down.

Edit: well, I went back to the install page and when it checked the files, two files still needed to be merged... colours and common css files. I told it to by the ftp method again, just for the fun of it. Said it was successful... and then froze at the update database page again.
So.....
Went back to the install page and what do you know, those two files STILL needed to be merged... So, I downloaded the merged files and uploaded them via filezilla... went back and, the files are all okay... but, page froze again...
went back to the install and it shows those files still need to be merged... even though, I uploaded the correct ones. Makes me wonder if I need to clear my cache in my browser or anything of that nature. :/

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:37 am

millipede wrote:went back to the install and it shows those files still need to be merged... even though, I uploaded the correct ones.
The only time I have seen that in the past is when people choose not to merge the changes. It still presents changed files, but those files obviously don't have the changes included, so a recheck will report the changes are still needed.

For the database update problem, try
  1. downloading the 3.1.0 files: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... -3.1.0.zip
  2. Unzip and upload the /install/ directory
  3. Run the /install/database_update.php file
  4. Then reupload the 3.1.1 /install/ directory
  5. Run the /install/database_update.php file
                      Support Request Template

millipede

Post by millipede » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:51 pm

The only time I have seen that in the past is when people choose not to merge the changes.
Well, I definitely tried merging them via the ftp upload and by downloading them and uploading them via filezilla. It still gives me that message about those files.

Run the /install/database_update.php file
following those directions using the 3.1.0 install folder, I got the same result.. just a blank screen. I even tried using IE instead of firefox to see if anything would be different.... nope. No "server not found" or any other weird messages... just a blank screen. :?
There has to be some cause but I'm not sure what. I wonder if I need to check and change any settings in my cpanel or anything of that nature?

millipede

Post by millipede » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Well, I'm still a bit confused and just a little frustrated as the forum is down until I get if figured out. eh...

I went back and ran the install files again for the most up to date, rather than the 3.1.0 since that had the same results. Just that blank page when attempting the database update.
I'm going to keep looking here and see if I find anyone else with the problem... and if anyone has any more thoughts, I sure would appreciate it.
Since I'm not figuring it out here yet, I opened up a ticket with my host to see if they have any ideas.
I hope that doesn't make me sound impatient. I really do appreciate how so many people are helpful here. :)
But anything I can do to try and track this issue down, I'm going to do so I can get the board up and running again.
I'll let you know if my host has any thoughts.

rxu
Extensions Development Team
Name: Ruslan

Post by rxu » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:51 pm

You could try the fix for this dedicated bug https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-13303.

millipede

Post by millipede » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Thanks, I will check that out and see if it is relevant.
In the meantime, thanks to a quick response from my host, I can now be more specific with what is going on.
I got a reply that said a blank page is generally a php error, and they have those turned off by default.(showing errors that is) and gave a description about what to do about it.
Generally a blank white page when you expect content is a PHP error. As we offer production servers and not development servers we have "display_errors" off by default which is why you would get a blank white page instead of an error message.

You can turn on "display_errors" by adding the following line to a file called ".htaccess" in the same folder as the script having issues:
php_value display_errors on

If the file ".htaccess" does not exist, you are welcome to create one for this purpose.
The database_update.php file is in the Install directory, and there was no htaccess file there... so, like it said, I created one and added that one line. Sure enough, I can now see a php error that may or may not help in this issue...
Fatal error: Call to a member function set() on a non-object in /home/********/public_html/forums/includes/functions.php on line 162
Edit: I downloaded functions.php and opened it in notepad++ and here is line 162 in case that's helpful...

Code: Select all

$config->set($config_name, $config_value, !$is_dynamic);
let me know if that means something useful. I have to go have lunch.

Edit again: I looked at the functions.php file that is currently in use, and I also checked it in the downloaded files for 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 .... and, they all look the same on that line. So at least for me, there isn't something obvious going on to change there. :/

millipede

Post by millipede » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:09 pm

Any suggestions as to what I should do or try next? I don't want to randomly guess what I should do and mess something up.
So, two things are going on...
1. It gets stuck at the process of updating the database with the PHP error mentioned in the post above this.
2. When going back to try the install again, common.css and colours.css still need to be merged... This shows every time I go back, even though I have gone in and merged the files.

Those two files are not in the same location as the file giving the php error, so I can't say if they're related.

My board as been stuck in this process since Wednesday now and I'm starting to get a little stressed about it. I'm fairly patient, and I appreciate all the help. I'm just worried my post will get so far down on the list it will be forgotten.
Let me know if I need to give any further details of if you'd like me to try something else or, whatever you need me to do.
Thanks.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:31 pm

I think you should just start over and not use the auto update method at all.

none of your MODs or styles will work in 3.1 anyway so there is no reason to try to keep any of them.

Upgrading from phpbb 3.0.x to phpbb 3.1.1

Tools needed to set up and customise phpBB

Preparation
  1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the full package.
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 directory.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images and /files directories from the package.
  5. In Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Board settings:
    Default style: prosilver
    Overide user style: Yes
  6. If spambot countermeasures are enabled:
    Go to > Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Spambot countermeasures:
    If the installed plugin used is not GD image, GD 3D image, Simple image, Q&A, or reCaptcha, then change it to one of those.

Removing the 3.0.x MODs from your database.
(None of the 3.0.x MODs will work in 3.1.1. It will use extensions and they will have to be installed. )
  1. Download and uncompress the Support Toolkit
  2. Upload the stk directory from Support Toolkit package to the root of your board installation.
  3. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/stk, login if necessary.
  4. Using the menus navigate to ADMIN TOOLS > Database Cleaner and run that tool.
File replacement
  1. Via FTP or SSH delete everything from your board installation on the server EXCEPT for the config.php file, and the /files, /images, and /store directories.
  2. You can also, optionally, delete the /store/mods directory, if it exists (it contains the MOD packages installed using AutoMOD).
  3. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and directories (from step 3 under the Preparation heading above) to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  4. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/instal ... update.php
  5. Let that run to completion.
  6. Via FTP or SSH delete the folder named /install/ from the root of your board installation.
You now have a brand new phpbb 3.1.1 board with all your members and posts etc.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 pm

Try the suggestion mentioned here.
                      Support Request Template

millipede

Post by millipede » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:44 pm

I think you should just start over and not use the auto update method at all.

none of your MODs or styles will work in 3.1 anyway so there is no reason to try to keep any of them.
hmmm, I suppose you're right about that. I do have the css modified just a little by myself, changed the colors a tiny bit, etc... and a few mods... not many... will be sad to see them all gone just like that though.
On one hand, I was so close to being done with the update, it would seem like a good idea to just try the other way and see if it helps push through the issue... BUT... if I have any modified code in there that's just going to be useless, maybe it is best to just do the fresh install and not "merge" files.

However...
In Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Board settings:
Default style: prosilver
Overide user style: Yes
If spambot countermeasures are enabled:
Go to > Administration Control Panel (ACP) > GENERAL > Board Configuration > Spambot countermeasures:
If the installed plugin used is not GD image, GD 3D image, Simple image, Q&A, or reCaptcha, then change it to one of those.
At this point, I have no access to my board so getting to the ACP is not possible. Prosilver is the only style so that's all default. Spambot countermeasures though...... I don't recall what I have that set at. I imagine it's one of those but I can't promise. I don't believe I have any "mods" for that though so it should be okay.
delete everything from your board installation on the server EXCEPT for the config.php file, and the /files, /images, and /store directories.
That's a scary thought... you really delete EVERYTHING except those folders and that file?
I'll be getting to it shortly. We'll see how it goes.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:08 pm

That's a scary thought... you really delete EVERYTHING except those folders and that file?
I'll be getting to it shortly. We'll see how it goes.
TIP:
Try it first on your test /backup forum or whatever you call it.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

millipede

Post by millipede » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:08 am

TIP:
Try it first on your test /backup forum or whatever you call it.
Yeah, I don't have one of those. I'm not too worried... those ARE the directions for installing 3.1.1 so it should work out just fine.

I have to also wonder now about this step...
Removing the 3.0.x MODs from your database.
First, that tool is for use with 3.0.12 or earlier. While my database has not been updated, all the files were updated during the automatic update so I'm not sure if that will make a difference.
Second... I cannot access my board so, would I be able to access that tool? Maybe I could just delete or rename the 'Install' folder and then see what happens? :? :? :?

millipede

Post by millipede » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:18 am

Oyabun1 wrote:Try the suggestion mentioned here.
Just to give me something to do that wouldn't take TOOOOO long, I decided to try that... I didn't think it would fix my problem as my issue wasn't matching theirs... and, it didn't. I still get that php error on line 162.

I think I might be on to attempting the fresh install... without following ALL those instructions as I'm simply not able to. :?

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”