What happened to the Automatic Update 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 package?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
link470

What happened to the Automatic Update 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 package?

Post by link470 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I just went to check the downloads and Automatic Update tab for phpBB and noticed that the only packages available now are 3.1.0-RC releases or 3.1.0 to 3.1.1. Any reason the 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 update package was removed?

I've already successfully updated the main forum I run that's powered by phpBB to 3.1.1 from 3.0.12, and the upgrade went great. So just totally curious. The only thing I can think of is that when the automatic update script checked the existing files [before the database upgrade], I did notice that it got me to delete a bunch of files manually, which took a bit of time. But once I did that, everything went great, the install script was happy, and it proceeded to upgrade the database. So maybe the 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 package was just removed to encourage people to skip that manual deleting files step and just replace all the files? Any harm to the original 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 replace-and-delete-unneeded-files method?

Thanks!

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: What happened to the Automatic Update 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 package?

Post by kinerity » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:09 am

The instructions to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 involves replacing all of the files except for config.php, the /images/ directory, the /files/ directory, and the /store/ directory. Replacing files is much easier than having the automatic updater go through all of the files. There's also been problems with it posted here.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:13 am

whatever you can do that works is fine.

I can't speak for the staff here but I would assume that since so many people were having so many problems with the autoupdate they removed it. the bottom line is that since you can't use any 3.0 MODs or styles, the best way to upGRADE is to replace all the files with new ones and update the 3.0 database to 3.1.

from what I have seen most of the staff are now advising that method of upgrading to 3.
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2232411#convert3

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:48 am

After having gone through the auto 3.0.12 to 3.1.1 upgrade process I expected the auto updater to be removed tbh. It was a lot of hassle and much easier to start a fresh...Although sadly it's pretty much starting again.

What I would recommend if you currently have mods is to list them all down, and even re-download them if you can. Then when you convert to 3.1.1 by replacing files as above (Except: config.php, files folder, store folder, images folder) you can:
A: Look for extensions that will do the same thing.
B: Try the smaller mods on the 3.1.1.

But always back up your database (And even original core files) before trying each mod.

Worth noting that extensions are much easier without having the need to do any coding as such and some smaller mods/tweaks do work on 3.1.1, but I'd expect many won't and it's better not to touch the core code where you can these days.

I have lost a LOT! of mods/tweaks/style changes etc...Pretty gutting at first, but it feels like a fresh start/clean up now. Especially as I've got my style looking really good now.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 am

It was removed as it was causing problems and some confusion.

Updating from 3.0 to 3.1 requires all new files anyway so getting an auto updater to merge them seemed a little convoluted. Also it meant a potential for left over MOD code to be carried in to the 3.1 installation which could have caused other issues so, for now, it's been removed.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

link470

Post by link470 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks everyone, that's what I figured. Makes sense!

bbthailand
Translator

Post by bbthailand » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:42 pm

KevC wrote:It was removed as it was causing problems and some confusion.

Updating from 3.0 to 3.1 requires all new files anyway so getting an auto updater to merge them seemed a little convoluted. Also it meant a potential for left over MOD code to be carried in to the 3.1 installation which could have caused other issues so, for now, it's been removed.
What is problems and confusion ?
explain please
If i no have any mod, I can be used it ?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:46 pm

You don't need it.

Problems were appearing with code from MODs being left over in the merged files and if the update needs brand new files anyway it was a bit pointless.

You just need to do this
viewtopic.php?f=466&t=2232411#convert3
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”