How to change default notifications settings

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
MaFeSa

How to change default notifications settings

Post by MaFeSa »

Hi, there is a way for change the default notifications settings for users?
I want also that all new users have email notification for 'Someone sends you a private message' activated by default.
Many thanks
MaFeSa

Re: How to change default notifications settings

Post by MaFeSa »

I found this ;)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I don't think that will work. it is for phpbb 3.0 and you are working with 3.1

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

Thanks for your help Robert, I think you're right :(
Lumpy Burgertushie

why do you want to force emails on people that have not asked for them? why not let people decide what notifications they want for themselves?

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
potku

Post by potku »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:why do you want to force emails on people that have not asked for them? why not let people decide what notifications they want for themselves?

robert
OP did mention "new users". I totally agree with that. And we have a MOD that does that now. New users are often so out of it that something like that helps to activate them and teaches them a few basic tricks on how to use phpBB. For us, it's all a walk in the park, but for some n00bs just realizing what a PM is and how to find the Inbox might not be so clear. This is especially true with older people.
Potku.net

"Before I speak, I have something important to say."

- Groucho Marx
MaFeSa

Post by MaFeSa »

The problem is that many users do not know the existence of the private messages and often do not attend the forum.
The only solution is to alert users with email that notify they have received a private message.
Lumpy Burgertushie

the whole point of a web based bulletin board is to go to the site and discuss things. the software was designed to replace the old email based maillist type discussions.

if people do not want to go to the site and do that then why would they join it?

I also think that many people underestimate us "older" folks. I am 63, many of the staff here are in their 50's and 60's. My mother is 80 and she is just as sharp as any 20 year old when it comes to computers and websites etc.

I do some teaching of computers and internet related stuff to elderly people. we are a lot sharper than some people give us credit for.

What I find interesting is how many young people don't have a clue about any of this unless it is on their smart phone and facebook.

I have always turned off the email notifications for just about everything.

If I want to know what is going on with a given board or other type of website , I visit there, login and see what is happening. I think that most people would do the same.

oh well, just my rant, sorry,

robert

potku

Post by potku »

Feel better now? :D

In any case, this EXT would make a lot of sense. Anybody can see that, and anybody who has been running a fairly active phpBB board knows it from experience. Call it marketing, if you will. I do.

Why are we engaging in a discussion about whether or not an EXT request is valid? Zeesh, if someone wants an EXT that doesn't break any laws, then that's what s/he wants. We should all hope s/he gets that EXT.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx
Lumpy Burgertushie

feel better now? :D ;)

robert

potku

Post by potku »

That remains to be seen... ;)
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx
Walther

Post by Walther »

would like this too.

We had it so that topic opening posters received a notification upon the first answer nevertheless their setting, if I recall correctly
Never ever received a complaint about that :)

Used to have a lot of 'post and run' posters, asking a question and in the posting something like '...email me at...' and then their email address, like the forum is some kind of newsgroup or a bulletin board in the local supermarket where nobody else cares for the answer.

We delete those email address and tel them people can contact them using the board mail facilities, or even better, discuss matters on the board as that is where a board is for.

Since we changed the default setting in 3.0.x, we had a better user-return result and less 0-or-1 answer postings where discussions where left open because topic starter never bothered to return
People who do not want board notifications are mostly those who are computer shaggy enough to change that in the user profile, or at least go through that.

Or in other words, we want that to be in the opt-out instead of the opt-in, and the welcome-pm-on-registration extension is a good place to point this out to them. (now we do that in the welcome-email-inactive)

can't find the source of the mod anymore.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

potku wrote:Why are we engaging in a discussion about whether or not an EXT request is valid
Indeed and, if an extension is required, post in the extensions forums not support.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
potku

Post by potku »

Dang, I didn't notice that at all. My bad.
Potku.net

- Groucho Marx
parshakov

Post by parshakov »

I posted the same question earlier but haven't received a reply I was waiting: viewtopic.php?p=13828446

I don't want to force users to check the forum every five minutes if they've got a new PM and I don't want to explain every new user how to enable email notifications. I don't want to have any more users expressing their anger / frustration about not getting an email notification about an important / urgent private message!

It would be nice if users could read PM without even opening the forum, but that's a separate story.

Return to “Extension Requests”