How to change default notifications settings

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Scam Warning
peopleinside
Name: Marco

Re: How to change default notifications settings

Post by peopleinside » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:32 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:why do you want to force emails on people that have not asked for them? why not let people decide what notifications they want for themselves?

robert
Totaly agree with this discussion.
Is bad things for me phpbb set as default no notification email for new PM received. Also should be an option easy where Forum Admin can decide this settings by defualt without have to enter in the database and do complex editing.

Is not good phpbb not notify the PM by email as default. Infact in some Forum I have received PM but not read that because i was not informed about IT.

Now I want set my phpbb for notify as default users but seems this is not possibile easly.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:52 pm

once again, why do you want to make these choices for everyone instead of letting people choose their notifications themselves. If you want to be automatically emailed when you get a PM. set it that way.

If you want to make sure that your members know they have to choose, tell them.

phpbb is designed to give its users choices, not to make all those choices for them by default.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:once again, why do you want to make these choices for everyone instead of letting people choose their notifications themselves. If you want to be automatically emailed when you get a PM. set it that way.

If you want to make sure that your members know they have to choose, tell them.

phpbb is designed to give its users choices, not to make all those choices for them by default.

robert
Hi robert,
I DON'T want decide me for user, I want when a user register an account email notification are active all for default. If user not want it can deactivate.

phpbb by default enable some notification and someone no, this is not good for me.
Example PM are not notified to the user by default. This is not an intelligent things for me.

As administrator of the forum i suppose to can choose default option for the user... but this seems not posssbile without edit code.

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Ok now following instruction here I have edited the function_user.php and now notification of PM are active for new user.

Now how to activate all other email notification by default and leave to the user the possibility to decide of deactivate it?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:15 pm

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... nd-values/
To change an option's value from 0 to 1 for existing users, you would use a query using the bitwise OR operator (|) produced by the bit or bits to the user_options field in the database. In other words, calculate the value of 2 raised to the power of the bit assigned to each option. That value for viewimg would be 1, because its bit is 0 and 2^0 is 1.

For example, this would change viewimg from Off to On by adding the appropriate value if it is NOT already included in the total value of user_options for each user:

Code: Select all
UPDATE phpbb_users set user_options = user_options | 1 WHERE user_type <> 2;
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:24 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... nd-values/
To change an option's value from 0 to 1 for existing users, you would use a query using the bitwise OR operator (|) produced by the bit or bits to the user_options field in the database. In other words, calculate the value of 2 raised to the power of the bit assigned to each option. That value for viewimg would be 1, because its bit is 0 and 2^0 is 1.

For example, this would change viewimg from Off to On by adding the appropriate value if it is NOT already included in the total value of user_options for each user:

Code: Select all
UPDATE phpbb_users set user_options = user_options | 1 WHERE user_type <> 2;
Quite hard to do.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Quite hard to do.
Search and you will find ;)

(or just click)
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... hpmyadmin/
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:19 pm

I have already readed the article but this not help me to understand how activate some options. I will wait will be avaiable an extension or some what else who made that possibile. Not urgent but sad to see in phpbb customize this settings is so hard. Thank you.

More easy edit the code for activate PM email but all other options are difficoult to activate for me.
Thanks hovever.

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Ok by doing some edit I have activated all notification as default. Nice. Thank you. Firefox has helped me on that because need a code analisis for do that... is not easy but done!
Nice.

Jobertim

Post by Jobertim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:45 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:52 pm
once again, why do you want to make these choices for everyone instead of letting people choose their notifications themselves.
Either way you ARE making a choice for everyone. Right now the choice is to NOT notify you when someone answers your question. Which is not the expected choice of every user who registers to our forum, given the sheer amount of complaints I've had. Here is the latest one: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 03#p665998 - Also, note that most social networks will notify you of any activity even remotely related to you (and some not related to you at all) by default. You (and I alike) may not like it, but it means that notifications-on-by-default are what the newer generation expects.

My own personal preferences are more like yours (no notifications unless I subscribe) but the preferences of nearly everyone from the newer generation is opposite (get notified when someone coughs and it sounds like they said your name - or the name of someone you know - or the name of a pet owned by someone who knows someone you know).

In any case even if as a user I personally don't like that option, as an admin I find it would be a huge benefit to our community to have that option in phpBB.

tammyfolk

Post by tammyfolk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 am

Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm
the whole point of a web based bulletin board is to go to the site and discuss things. the software was designed to replace the old email based maillist type discussions.

if people do not want to go to the site and do that then why would they join it?

I also think that many people underestimate us "older" folks. I am 63, many of the staff here are in their 50's and 60's. My mother is 80 and she is just as sharp as any 20 year old when it comes to computers and websites etc.

I do some teaching of computers and internet related stuff to elderly people. we are a lot sharper than some people give us credit for.

What I find interesting is how many young people don't have a clue about any of this unless it is on their smart phone and facebook.

I have always turned off the email notifications for just about everything.

If I want to know what is going on with a given board or other type of website , I visit there, login and see what is happening. I think that most people would do the same.

oh well, just my rant, sorry,

robert
Totally on board with you on this aspect.

Jobertim

Post by Jobertim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:55 am

tammyfolk wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:50 am
Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:07 pm
the whole point of a web based bulletin board is to go to the site and discuss things.
Totally on board with you on this aspect.
Ok then why offer the option of notifications at all? Why make it available to those who ask, but not allow admins to change the default settings? What about ATOM feeds?

peopleinside

Post by peopleinside » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 am

Jobertim wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:45 am
Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:52 pm
once again, why do you want to make these choices for everyone instead of letting people choose their notifications themselves.
Either way you ARE making a choice for everyone. Right now the choice is to NOT notify you when someone answers your question. Which is not the expected choice of every user who registers to our forum, given the sheer amount of complaints I've had. Here is the latest one: https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 03#p665998 - Also, note that most social networks will notify you of any activity even remotely related to you (and some not related to you at all) by default. You (and I alike) may not like it, but it means that notifications-on-by-default are what the newer generation expects.

My own personal preferences are more like yours (no notifications unless I subscribe) but the preferences of nearly everyone from the newer generation is opposite (get notified when someone coughs and it sounds like they said your name - or the name of someone you know - or the name of a pet owned by someone who knows someone you know).

In any case even if as a user I personally don't like that option, as an admin I find it would be a huge benefit to our community to have that option in phpBB.
Totally with you. You are right and I agree with you.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 am

This is rumbling on a bit and getting nowhere, if you don't want to use the suggested methods for changing the notification settings then:
Mick wrote:
Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:40 pm
If you still prefer the other route(s) you should make an extension request(s)
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Jobertim

Post by Jobertim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 am
you should make an extension request(s)
Thanks Mick. Done: viewtopic.php?f=496&t=2414301

Return to “Extension Requests”