How to put at least some control to the registration process?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
AlexKach

How to put at least some control to the registration process?

Post by AlexKach »

I am trying to start up 3.1.2 but when ever you allow registration at least "by admin" for few minutes immediately bunch of spammers Is jumping in with the list of "new users". It's looking like some spamming phpbb registration software is in use. There is only one plus in the forum software to give people feedback option but the phpBB is looking like easy for spammers and difficult for dummies-admins liked me. :D If there is some reliable registration process for the PHPBB 3.1.2.?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How to put at least some control to the registration process?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

using by admin you will not get any registrations unless you ok them manually. you might get a bunch of requests but they can't register so just delete them from the inactive list.

yes, there are many spam bots out there that target new phpbb boards and wp blogs and anything else that allows posting. nothing you can do about that. you just have to keep them from being able to register and post.

phpbb does a very good job of this if you just use the built in Q&A anti spam measure. use a good question that the answer can not be found on google or guessed.

no math questions, no multiple choice questions and certainly no yes/no questions.

ask something about your site, or about the site logo, or something like that. a human can answer but a computer bot can not.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
P_I

Post by P_I »

Suggest reading Preventing Spam in phpBB3 and using the Q&A CAPTCHA. robert provides some good guidance on designing your question.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Also, make sure they're actual registered accounts and not that you have the boards available for visitors to post in without registration.

A link to the board would help.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”