Digging data directly from the database. Or not?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
digitaltoast

Digging data directly from the database. Or not?

Post by digitaltoast » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Let's say I wanted a csv table of all topics, and links to that topic, between certain dates, excluding certain forums.

As it happens, I can very easily generate this from a standard install simply by changing min username characters to 0 and search on username using no criteria except forum exclusion and dates.

But, of course, it churns out as html, and my xpath wrangling skills don't seem to be winning this screen scraping battle.

The other way I can do it is to make a standalone php page with a pdo database connection and just do an sql query and return as csv.

Both methods feel a bit hacky, although I'd be happy with the first if I could get a more tabular data friendly results screen.

I've looked around for mods but the 3.1 compatible mods section is small right now. So, any ideas would be appreciated!

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Digging data directly from the database. Or not?

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 pm

You would need an extension for that. Have a look in the Extensions Database. If you can't find one that is suitable you could look in [3.1.x] Extensions in Development, but note that extensions in development are not intended for a live board. If there is nothing there you could post in [3.1.x] Extension Requests.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”