1 webste + Multiple phpBB Boards

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
800PoundGorilla

1 webste + Multiple phpBB Boards

Post by 800PoundGorilla » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 am

We are evaluating a few forum options and I was hoping to get some help on validating if phpBB can achieve what we are looking for. We are looking to have the following functionality:

1. One WordPress or Joomla instillation that links to several phpBB forums. So when a user registers at the main website, they have instant access to all phpBB installations.

a. I have seen a few plugins and the ratings all over the board. I am also not sure if one of them can handle this scenario.
b. I also want to make sure when we add new phpBB forums, all of the main websites resisted users have instant access to the new forum.

2. We would also like any user that signs up for a class to have access to a special locked section of the related phpBB forum.

a. I know this can be completed manually, but we are hoping if we can assign a user to a permissions group after they sign up for a class, that permissions will update in phpBB. Allowing that user to have instant access to a few locked threads in the related phpBB forum.

We are leaning towards WordPress, due to their great class plug-in, but are open to Joomla.

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by 800PoundGorilla on Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: 1 webste + Multiple phpBB

Post by Mick » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:39 am

1. You would need to speak to WP and or Joomla - or have a search here.
1a. If you've seen 'plugins' that you think may do the job you want you should speak to the plugin author.
1b. That would need an extension unless the WP/Joomla plugins as in (1) above can handle that?
2. Not sure what you mean by 'class' but the permissions in phpBB3 will handle private forums etc.
2a. Once again, this would require an extension.

I suggest you have a search of the extensions forums to see if there's anything that suits your purposes and, if you don't find anything you can make an extension request. The extensions writers discussion is also a good source of information. There's also a lot of documentation about such as the 3.0/3.1 User Guide and if you have a specific question a search, either here or Google, very often finds something, there's not much that hasn't been asked before. There are no threads in phpBB they are topics.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:56 pm

and we need to clear something up.

the whole thing is called the board.

in the board, you have categories and forums.
under the forums you have topics and posts.

now, you are saying several phpbb installations and then you say several different forums.

if you want to install several completely different phpbb boards that makes things much more difficult and is usually not needed.
if you are talking about one phpbb board and several different forums on that board, then it all becomes a lot easier and most of what you ask can be done with the permission system of phpbb.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

800PoundGorilla

Post by 800PoundGorilla » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:37 am

Thank you for the replies. I have already searched the third party extensions and I was hoping to feedback from phpBB users that have gone down this path and how it went for them. There are several options when it comes to forums. I would like to use phpBB, but want to make sure it is the best fit.

I was not familiar with your lingo, but here is what we are trying to accomplish.

1 website & several phpBB boards

A. We would like each board to be its own standalone experience. It will link to each class and have several categories and forums specific to that particular class.

B. We were also hoping to give access to restricted forums in one board to students who have signed up for that particular class.

I have searched and not found someone who has tried something similar, so I wanted to post this to the community and see if anyone has tried this set-up before and could provide any recommendations or feedback.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: 1 webste + Multiple phpBB Boards

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 am

like I said, you can do this with one phpbb installation.
setup a different forum for each class ( instead of different installations.

using the built in permission system you can decide who has access to what in almost infinite ways.

trying to connect different phpbb installations this way is very difficult because you have to share tables in different databases and/or different tables in the same database etc. all the tables in phpbb are interconnected within the one database but trying to share any of them across different databases becomes a problem because of duplicate IDs in several areas, among other things.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

800PoundGorilla

Post by 800PoundGorilla » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:13 am

The only challenge is we would like to have them located on different pages, preferable different websites, like using WordPress multisite. If that could work via one phpBB instillation, that would be great. We just need the illusion of separate boards, it doesn't matter if they are all connected

800PoundGorilla

Post by 800PoundGorilla » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm

I found this post, that I think we can make work:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2168244

Sample:
http://critterhub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

If we took this approach and had the following:

[*]1 board
[*]Hundreds of Forums
[*]Thousands of Topics

Would phpBB have any issues with the size of the board or amount of posts it would generate?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:43 pm

Depending on server resources you may hit problems with more than about 300 forums.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

800PoundGorilla

Post by 800PoundGorilla » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:46 pm

@Oyabun1

Thank you. We will try mapping this out first, to see where we land. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

themindfactory

Post by themindfactory » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Anyone had luck with this I too want to accomplish this!

Richard.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”