Broke 3.1.2 board while updating to 3.1.3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.1.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: phpBB 3.1.x is at its End of Life stage and support will NOT be provided after July 1st, 2018.
peteetongman

Re: Broke 3.1.2 board while updating to 3.1.3

Post by peteetongman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:21 pm

I was sitting here last night (east coast of US) drinking beer and watching Superbowl while attempting update. Not a good plan in my case LOL

oh yeah one more thing: Is the procedure for replacing the phpBB logo with my own the same as it was in the last couple of versions?

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Yes, change the imageset stylesheet to the image size and extension you are using, upload and purge the cache and ctrl+f6 to clear your browsers cache

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm

just FYI;
there seems to be a fear that "overwriting" one folder with another will overwrite all the files. this is not the case. when you upload a folder to the server when there is already one there with the same name, it does not replace the one there with the new one. It can only overwrite files of the same name. which is what you want to happen. in the case of the images/store and files folders it will overwrite the phpbb files but leave all your images ( in the images folder ), your attachments ( in the files folder ) and your database backups etc. ( in the store folder ) untouched.

this is the standard way that uploading/overwriting etc. has always worked.

now, of course it is always a good idea to backup before just to be safe, but the bottom line is that the only thing you really need to worry about is to not overwrite your existing config.php file with the new blank one that is in the new phpbb files .

I am not suggesting that you not follow the instructions here about saving those folders, just trying to explain why it does what it does etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

peteetongman

Post by peteetongman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 pm

thanks robert. I guess after putting a large-caliber round thru one foot I was scared of repeating the stunt ;)

thanks again, very much

Ciao121

Post by Ciao121 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:56 pm

Hi,
I have the same error. I'm trying to understand what is wrong (not for a solution that is already here).
I updated using changed files (I need to update this way).
So I downloaded the changed files package and uploaded files in the right place.
If this is the right way (isn't it?) why do I have this error? Is someting wrong in the package or am I missing something? Thanks!!!
Apri il tuo forum gratuito in 1 minuto.

Ciao121

Post by Ciao121 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:02 pm

Found the answer myself... I didn't execute the install/database_update.php.
Executing it solved the error.
Apri il tuo forum gratuito in 1 minuto.

Return to “[3.1.x] Support Forum”